PDA

View Full Version : Whoo Whooo Who cooks for you...

Joseph Przybyla
01-01-2021, 10:05 AM
This image pales in comparison to Daniels most recent posting of a portrait but the Barred Owls are back in their nesting area. If the weather stays moderate in a short while there may be fledglings to photograph. Image captured at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm F/5.6 VR AF-S ED PF, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod with a Wimberly MonoGimbal head
1/250 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1.33 ISO 6400 Auto 1 WB, pretty dark early morning under the Live Oak canopy, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm equivalent)
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Neat Image for noise reduction
Cropped to portrait for composition and presentation

P.S. Learn more about Circle B Bar Reserve in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide that Artie and I co-authored. It is available at this link The BAA Middle of Florida Site Guide (https://birdsasart-shop.com/the-baa-middle-of-florida-photographic-site-guide/)

John Mack
01-01-2021, 07:50 PM
This is a very nice owl frame as well. That spanish moss is great. Nice that the owl looked down. I could see the face dodged a little.

Stu Bowie
01-02-2021, 04:07 AM
Hi Joe, nice portrait comp, and I like the stare down pose. Although the BG is a tad busy, it works for me, as the Owl is still separated from it.

Daniel Cadieux
01-02-2021, 06:56 AM
Very different from the winter settings I've been photographing them in these past couple of weeks! It just shows how adaptable they are. I love the spanish moss, main perch, vertical comp. My first thought was that it could use brightening up around the eye area. You could also burn or fill in the bright spot at right edge if you wish. I like it a lot overall, nice frame for sure!

Steve Kaluski
01-02-2021, 07:00 AM
Hi Joe, would love to shoot this, fantastic setting and although the shooting angle might be steep, I like it. Perch is cool and the fact the Owl isn't drawn to you, but focused elsewhere adds, IMHO. Overall, it's dark, albeit the location might be, but I would try an open it up a little more and run some NR on parts of the BKG, looking a little course. I did run a Curves midtone at 40% too.

Probably somewhere between the two, WDYT?

TFS
Steve

David Roach
01-02-2021, 08:39 AM
Beautiful framing, feather detail and setting. As usual, love Steve's repost. TFS

ps
Looking forward to many more "JP" classics in the new year...

Dorian Anderson
01-02-2021, 10:42 PM
Setting is wonderful, even if it mildly competes with the bird. Steve's repost looks good, particularly on the branch, but I think the lack of more direct eye contact is a bigger issue than the processing.

Joseph Przybyla
01-04-2021, 06:21 PM
Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.