PDA

View Full Version : theme: rosie bluejay in snow

annmpacheco
12-30-2020, 04:12 PM
as the snowstorm dissipated, the sunlight filtered through the overcast sky and briefly the BG was rosie. This bluejay squawked and most of the birds scattered just as i settled in to photograph in this beautiful light. After a tense minute of inactivity, the bluejay flew in closer to choose which feeder to visit. My presence was the last hurdle before getting to any seed so I had several seconds of him posing as he decided if it was safe. I liked the eye contact here, before he swooped in for some fresh suet.

So I chose to leave the color as i saw it that afternoon and not "balance the colors" ... This is nearly full frame and i chose to leave the snow covered beak as is. I like the white tufted feathers atop the eyebrow and the fine black whiskers around his face.

R5
840mm

ISO 2000
1/1000

Paul Burdett
12-30-2020, 06:07 PM
Ann. I feel cooler just looking at this. Beautiful colours on this bird, and on a lovely perch with lovely BG. I really like the composition and the bird's stare. The snow on the beak is cute! TFS

Jim Crosswell
12-30-2020, 07:24 PM
Great feather details Ann. I like the pose, clean BG and sharpness. If mine I would come in tighter from the top and some off our right to the H in your signature but that is personal preference. I've been enjoying your backyard images,

Colin Driscoll
12-31-2020, 04:11 AM
Lovely light and clean shot. Those blues just jump out at me, beautiful.
I'm with Jim on the crop, with the head turn it doesn't need the amount of negative space on the right.

Stu Bowie
12-31-2020, 05:50 AM
Hi Ann, great eye contact as you have stated, as well as a lovely pose. The overall detail looks good, sharp, and good DOF throughout the image for F/6.3. I have always liked the colours of the Bluejays, and the hint of falling snow adds interest. A lovely image for the theme.

annmpacheco
12-31-2020, 09:33 AM
here is the crop as suggested...

Bill Dix
12-31-2020, 10:17 AM
Love the curious look he's giving you, and the rosy BG. While the RP shows some nice detail, I prefer the OP with the complete vertical stem.

Dorian Anderson
12-31-2020, 10:58 AM
****, that's a pretty bird and image. Details looks great, and they direct eye contact sucks up right in. I was going to suggest losing the top of the frame, but the repost addresses my concern nicely. I think the whole frame does a have a slight magenta cast, but see what others saw about that.

Kurt Bowman
12-31-2020, 01:16 PM
Lovely image Ann. Love the head turn, the snow, the perch, etc. I do find myself wishing it was placed a tiny bit more right and keep the original ratio, but thats a very small nit. Nice work!

John Mack
01-01-2021, 07:30 PM
Really like that head on pose here. Much prefer the second image with the perch cropped at the top.

Sidharth Kodikal
01-02-2021, 02:22 PM
Beautiful bird with exquisite details. Love the feel of this image. I'm perhaps in the minority, but I prefer the original with more breathing room around.

annmpacheco
01-03-2021, 08:49 AM
Beautiful bird with exquisite details. Love the feel of this image. I'm perhaps in the minority, but I prefer the original with more breathing room around.
Thank you I agree w you I like the breathing room best