PDA

View Full Version : Snow Squ-owl

Daniel Cadieux
12-30-2020, 12:02 PM
An awesomely tame and very active Barred Owl has setup up its winter territory five minutes from home. How convenient:c3:. When snowfall started on this day I had visions of a close-up with some accumulation on its head, so I made my way there and low-and-behold it was sitting on a fallen log, two feet off the ground. More convenience! It had just fed on something (likely a vole as it has caught many) as evidenced by the small blood stain on the bill.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/800s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld (using knee-pod technique), full frame, removed a slight bluish cast via hue/saturation slider on the blue channel.

Andreas Liedmann
12-30-2020, 02:21 PM
Hi Daniel ... what a nice neighbor to photograph .
Feeling a bit envious about the fact .... but feel happy for you !!!
Cool frame , nice colors , lovely ethe falling snow and the snowy crown on its head .... priceless !!! Nicely processed with a very good range of fine details !!!!
But the best thing is .... the landscape showing up in those mesmerizing eyes !!!

Yeeees I like it !

TFS Andreas

Jim Crosswell
12-30-2020, 07:35 PM
I like the hunkered down stare, details, IQ and composition. I was looking closely at the eye reflection to see if I could see you taking the shot but no luck. Look forward to seeing more.

Stu Bowie
12-31-2020, 06:08 AM
Hi Dan, great eye contact, and you have brought out excellent detail on the face. I do like the snow accumulating on his head, together with the falling snow all around.

Dorian Anderson
12-31-2020, 10:34 AM
This is excellent, Daniel. Stare, exposure, and details are excellent, and the falling now adds a really wintry touch. I used to see these all the time when I lived in Massachusetts, and many were as approachable as this individual. Super cool frame, for sure!

John Mack
01-01-2021, 07:26 PM
What an absolute beauty. Love the snow. Framing is bang on. What a treat it must be to have cooperative owls to photograph.

Arthur Morris
01-06-2021, 06:47 PM
I am glad that I searched for this one after seeing the other bird. Yes, you were and are blessed. Love the snow cap, the two scenics, and especially the spot of blood on the bill.

Have a great 2021. Maybe you and Randy can get down here net spring. Or the next one :)

with love, a