PDA

View Full Version : Coming home ....

Andreas Liedmann
12-29-2020, 01:43 PM
Hi folks a King Penguin on the way to the beach ..... image taken in Right Whale Bay on South Georgia Island .
In the BG you can see the crashing surf ....

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 500 IS L
Tripod

F 5,6 ; Iso 1600 ; 1/1600 sec , with hindsight I should have used faster SS

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2021 ; cropped for comp to 75 % of FF

Thansk for looking and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Joseph Przybyla
12-29-2020, 03:04 PM
Hi Andreas, love the crashing surf. Dynamic colors on the bird look great against the background. Thank you for sharing.

gail bisson
12-29-2020, 05:58 PM
My dream destination...
I love the image design, the crashing surf and the complimentary colors.
I know that the beach rises up slightly as is normal, but my eye keeps wishing it was more level.
Too bad the nictitating membrane covers the eye but that is real life.
I like the slightly open bill.
I would also love to see a version with the penguin lower in the frame. Your current crop is good but I think it would look better if you had more of the surf up top and less FG.
Gail

annmpacheco
12-29-2020, 06:22 PM
Brrrh, i like this very much, so much to marvel at and enjoy. I agree w Gail's suggestion to reduce the FG and trade up with the surf, more interest IMO and continues the turbulent setting this penguin calls home. love the foamy splashes and the open beak. TFS

Brian Sump
12-29-2020, 07:22 PM
Andreas, some great suggestions before and I agree with the rotation and position of subject.

Super action, subject looks great despite not being able to see the full eye without membrane.

TFS!

John Mack
12-29-2020, 07:56 PM
The penguin stands out nicely against all that water. The splashing is another bonus. Nice framing.

Steve Kaluski
12-30-2020, 06:12 AM
POV is spot on Andreas and the overall colour palette is super, love the rich colours of the subject, juxtapose to the coolness of the water. With the current advancements in cameras it's amazing how we still managed to get the shots we did Andreas with the older kit and far harder then, now with AEF it makes life so easy and to a degree the skill. I'm guessing the FP was more on the back, as the water behind is sharper than the trailing from the flipper, but still a hard shot to pull off and you did it.

with hindsight I should have used faster SS

Perhaps, certainly ISO3200 would not have been a problem, but in low light, tracking and limited AFP it was having the confidence to push things, unlike now. :w3

TFS
Steve

Daniel Cadieux
12-30-2020, 11:03 AM
I'm really liking the action, and the yellows of the penguin really stand out against the rest of the frame's tones. I like what Gail has offered as suggestions, and would be inclined to try them. A fun image for sure!

Andreas Liedmann
12-30-2020, 12:59 PM
Hi all , thanks for all your kind comments and suggestions , much appreciated .

Gail .... thanks for your thoughts about the crop , agree with you would have been nicer to have more on top and less on bottom . As I do not like to pixel bash I have to live with that crop !!!! But I stay with the not leveled image .... as you correctly said the beach is going up to the RHS .
Gail and Brian .... oh yes I would have loved to get the eye " open " , but the penguin did not listen to my request :bg3:

Steve ..... FP was as per DPP on the area between the flipper and the neck . These arrows are quite fast when entering the beach .... acquiring focus is difficult with all the splashing water and penguin moving fast . Keeper rate was quite low .... to be honest . Sometimes it was really confusing when numerous penguins came out of the water, in the end I was quite happy to get some decent shots .

Thanks again and Cheers Andreas