PDA

View Full Version : Petrel

Andreas Liedmann
12-28-2020, 08:50 AM
Hi folks .... another BIF from me :bg3:

Not knowing which species this is , maybe someone can help ???!!!
Image was taken on the way to South Georgia Island on the Drake Passage .....
BTW i met Artie on that trip ..... Hi Mr Morris :wave:

Not the best quality due to my low skills in bird photography and in photography in general .

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 300 IS L ,f4 , + 1,4 TC
HH

F 5,6 ; Iso 800 ; 1/ 2500 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2021 ; full frame after cropping and adding canvas as the bird was not ideally siting in the frame ( too low )

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Randy Stout
12-28-2020, 09:05 AM
Andreas:

Good idea to raise the bird in the frame, because of the head angle , needed room to look down into. Great bill, rather like the Jimmy Durante of bird beaks. (I am really getting old to even know who Jimmy Durante is!)

I could see some minor contrast tweaking to get bird to pop a bit more. I suspect this is a faithful representation of the day, but might be fun to play with.

Cheers

Randy

Dorian Anderson
12-28-2020, 09:38 AM
This is a Northern Giant-Petrel, distinguished from Southern Giant-Petrel mainly by the reddish tip to the bill (Southern would be slightly greenish).

Eye contact is very nice and the detail on the head and beak is excellent. Exposure looks pretty good, and I like the position in the frame. Would like a bit more DOF across the wings but you didn't have a lot of light and it's a very big bird (wingspan almost 2 meters).

Joseph Przybyla
12-28-2020, 10:53 AM
Quite nice, Andreas. I have never seen this bird before, so a real treat. Thank you for sharing.

John Mack
12-28-2020, 02:07 PM
Really like the face on this bird. Somewhat resembles a human to me. I like the framing and the pose.

Brian Sump
12-28-2020, 07:30 PM
Andreas, nicely captured and processed sir.

Enough of the dorsal to make the pose fun and fantastic camera acknowledgement by the subject (head and eye).

What do you mean your lack of photography experience skills??

Andreas Liedmann
12-29-2020, 02:35 AM
Thanks folks , for your kind comments much appreciated !!!

Special thanks to Dorian for the ID of the bird !!!!

Cheers Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
12-29-2020, 02:41 AM
What do you mean your lack of photography experience skills??

I think that , as I do see the number of keepers when I try to shoot BIF :w3.
Also this file is not 100 % technically good , but I have good skills in PP to make them look acceptable or even good .... at least for web presentation . The base file is not good enough for a good print .... and this is the real challenge , not these tiny web images !!!!
This is how I see things in terms of image quality .
Regards Andreas