PDA

View Full Version : Red Crossbill

Ilija Dukovski
12-26-2020, 03:31 PM
I got this Red Crossbill today and Salsbury Beach State Reservation, MA.
Nikon Z7, 200-500mm @ 500mm, VR, hand held. ISO800, f/5.6, 1/640.

In PP I cloned out some broght spots on the lower right part of the image.
If anyone is interested in these birds, they are present there for weeks,
and probably will stay for most of the winter.

Let me know what you think.

Ilija

David Roach
12-26-2020, 05:22 PM
Love the colors, framing and SH right where it needs to be. Slight noise which is nice and even in the BG. Love this canvas... TFS

John Mack
12-26-2020, 06:15 PM
You were close here. It's tough with low light and being close to the birds. Sharp where it matters right on the eye.

Steve Kaluski
12-27-2020, 07:54 AM
Hi Ilija, as per my previous comment, you need to apply an sRGB profile to the image, as the colours are a bit off due to an RGB profile.

Is this a crop and if so is it a large one, if so, I might zoom out giving space all around to the subject and allow it to breathe. At ISO800 there is quite a bit of noise and as presented it's quite dark with areas of clipping, was the image under exposed? Opening the image up in Exposure, addressing the chocked areas and adding some more sharpening bring the image. I do like the pose and head angle. Do you regularly calibrate your monitor as this will always help, shop;d be done at least once a month.

TFS
Steve

Ilija Dukovski
12-27-2020, 08:58 AM
Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate them.

Ilija Dukovski
12-27-2020, 09:00 AM
Do you regularly calibrate your monitor as this will always help, shop;d be done at least once a month.

Thanks Steve, how do you calibrate your monitor? What's the best way to do it these days?

Steve Kaluski
12-27-2020, 09:35 AM
Ilija it may depend on your monitor, but X-rite tend to own the market place, Spyder or X-rite i1 display might be a starting point. Might be worth speaking to the company that solid your monitor as they can advise on which kit is the most suitable. It’s all very simple to set up and most software will have a timer that counts down and the tells you when it’s due for calibration. Never ever calibrate first thing, allow the monitor to warm up, so after say 30-60 mins. During calibration you can leave the software to do its thing and you can have a coffee.

Ilija Dukovski
12-27-2020, 09:42 AM
Thanks.

Ilija Dukovski
12-27-2020, 10:29 AM
Here's a new version. Brought back the blacks a bit, and I didn't sharpen here at all.
Let me know if you like this one better?

Steve Kaluski
12-27-2020, 11:14 AM
Well Ilija, firstly you have the correct embedded profile, great, now there will not be any colour shift as such, so what you see in your 'Working space' will be the same on the web with the sRGB space now. :cheers:

The image does look better, but with any digital file it needs sharpening and that must be done at the final stage after cropping, so the RP could do with some selective sharpening on the head. DoF is a tad shallow, just to keep the bill sharp too, but I think you got just away with it, however just be mindful that with all those px's you should look at you SS, as you need more than you think to avoid pixel blurring, 1/640 is a bit slow IMHO.

FWIW this was where I was going based on the OP, as my feedback is always based on application. :w3

Well done!

Ilija Dukovski
12-27-2020, 11:53 AM
Thanks, I like this one a lot.