PDA

View Full Version : Swans (feedback)

dankearl
12-25-2020, 08:57 PM
Another Swan photo, I have several like this and are going to enter some contests with one.
If you have any serious or not suggestion, I would love ANYONES opinion here.
The WB can be anything on photos like this IMO, this is a combo, Capture One "as shot" which I think did a good representation
of what I think the scene looked like but I pulled down
a lot of Cyan...
This is 16x9 full frame crop. I have 3x2 full frame also, I only cropped original frames to level as I composed in camera or tried to..
I did not erase anything, I am leaving all as is.
I liked this one as I have 9 good head angles which is amazing to me...
This of course is compressed 1800 wide for web, it is sharpened for web.
The whites look really hot on this compressed version, they are not blown on RAW file at all, I am raising them on purpose, but not this much...
All Opinions appreciated.

contest-c16x9bpn.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=189402&stc=1&d=1608947686)

Randy Stout
12-26-2020, 07:49 AM
Dan:

Very calm, quiet moment captured. Agree about the head positions.

For me, there is still a significant color cast. I have tweaked it a bit more in that regard. The whites do look too hot as you mentioned, and I would address those as well for your final file.

Cheers

Randy

Ilija Dukovski
12-26-2020, 03:35 PM
Very cool atmosphere here. I love the feel.
Agree with Randy above about the color cast.
I would also try composition with only the three birds at the center and one in the BG.

John Mack
12-26-2020, 06:19 PM
I like everything about this one. The fog gives a nice mood. Too bad that one swan feeding is intersecting the right bird. Regarding white balance do whatever you want to.

dankearl
12-26-2020, 10:17 PM
Thanks much Randy, yes that looks like WB as shot and I tweaked, I will go back and look at.
Thanks for taking the time.

Daniel Cadieux
12-27-2020, 07:55 AM
I too feel there is a strong cyan cast. If you can get it to look about the same as the previous post that would be winner IMO. Talk about a unique spot and opportunity - I'd be there a lot if that was close to home!

Arthur Morris
12-27-2020, 01:05 PM
Randy's repost is much better for the color. Love the BKGR. What happened to the tenth head??

with love, artie

Jim Crosswell
12-28-2020, 06:47 PM
I like the repost by Randy for color correction. Let us know how it goes after you enter it in the contest. Beautiful image Dan!