PDA

View Full Version : Gannet

Andreas Liedmann
12-25-2020, 12:00 PM
Hi all ,
Merry Christmas to the whole community :bg3: .... hope you have a great and peaceful time over Christmas and a great 2021 !!!

Here´s one of my rare bird postings , hope you like it somehow .
Image is taken in 2015 on Helgoland Island , which is lying in the North Sea . 60 km off the German mainland ....
Light was kinda warm so I kept the whites not neutral .... resulting in a warm cast to them .

Canon EOS 1Dx
EF 200-400 IS L at 381 mm
HH

F 6,3 ; Iso 1250 ; 1/3200 sec ; man exp and auto iso

Processed with C1 and PSCC 2021 ; had to add canvas to both sides as the bird was too tight in the frame . Colors being pushed slightly with a LAB maneuver in between ( worked on a copy and copied the layer at 50 % opacity to the working image )

Thanks for looking and commenting ....

All the best , Andreas

Krishna Prasad kotti
12-25-2020, 12:16 PM
Beautiful Image. Crop shows a powerful wingspan. White bird against a blue background is nice.
I would burn the areas around the neck.

TFS

David Roach
12-25-2020, 03:52 PM
Beautiful pose and awesome underside view with great EXP for side light. TFS

ps
The echoed synchronous "V" of feet and tail....

Daniel Cadieux
12-26-2020, 03:40 PM
Looks good to me! I love the feather details and layers in the wings. Very appealing blues in the BG. Sharp, well exposed. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well!

John Mack
12-26-2020, 06:22 PM
Nice warm light. The flat out wing pose is quite nice. The blue water background is nice and out of focus. Happy holidays to you as well.

Brian Sump
12-27-2020, 12:10 PM
Andreas, very pretty frame. Lots of detail and beautiful light.

Is that a specular highlight or masking remnant circle on the subject's right wing?

One thing you could try for another perspective is a 16x9 crop. It might work nicely here. Also, is it worth maybe reducing saturation in blues on the upper edge of the wing shadows?

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Andreas Liedmann
12-27-2020, 12:53 PM
Thanks folks for your kind comments , much appreciated .

Chers Andreas

Andreas Liedmann
12-27-2020, 12:58 PM
Is that a specular highlight or masking remnant circle on the subject's right wing?

One thing you could try for another perspective is a 16x9 crop. It might work nicely here. Also, is it worth maybe reducing saturation in blues on the upper edge of the wing shadows?

Thanks Brian .... your crop suggestion would work for sure !!!
No masking issue :w3 ... it is an OOF Gannet ( I think ) . Regarding the blues on the upper wing , I was 50/50 on removing/reducing them ! As you can see I left them .....:t3

Cheers Andreas

Jim Crosswell
12-28-2020, 06:39 PM
Excellent image Andreas! I like the pose, IQ, tight composition and beautiful blue water. Happy Holidays to you as well!