PDA

View Full Version : Wagtail in nest

Paul Burdett
12-18-2020, 11:54 PM
Hi all. I've taken many Willy Wagtail photos over the years, but this is the first on the nest. Taken in November during a few days away with my wife. Had to wait quite a while for the Wagtail to make its way back to the nest, as it was dashing between various positions on the grounds of the b&b we were staying at. The original crop had a vertical branch on the left, but I thought it was too much, so settled on this crop. The BG is the water. Cheers.

D500/500PF, 1/500th sec. f5.6, iso500, manual mode HH.

David Roach
12-19-2020, 01:26 AM
What a sweet canvas with perfect framing, EXP and details... TFS

Paul Burdett
12-19-2020, 05:15 AM
Thanks so much David...much appreciated as always.

Stu Bowie
12-19-2020, 05:19 AM
Hi Paul, good pose and HA, and I like the slightly raised wings. Is that silk wrapped around the nest.

Jonathan Ashton
12-19-2020, 08:19 AM
Love it! A very unusual shot the bird and nest look equally interesting. Perhaps a little large in the frame - but I note your comments.
I think the darker areas could be opened up a little to reveal some more detail.

annmpacheco
12-19-2020, 09:46 AM
Hi Paul, lovely impressive nest and quite a feat to capture willy as he's always on the go! Very nice nice HA, agree with opening up the blacks.

Steve Kaluski
12-19-2020, 10:00 AM
Hi Paul, love the backdrop, provides a nice standout for the image, a pleasing colour palette. Agree with Jon, with regard that there is more to pullout, albeit subtle. also, extending the canvas on the LHS helps, using the raw is always better. What does draw my eye is that the nest doesn't look sharp, almost jarring slightly with the subject, did you sharpen the nest Paul?

TFS
Steve

Jack Backs
12-19-2020, 10:16 AM
Interesting behavior image. Looks like there might be a slight amount of motion blur. I'd clean up the eye.

Geoffrey Montagu
12-19-2020, 01:49 PM
Wonderful capture, Paul. Good comments above, and I like Steve's repost showing a bit more detail in the blacks. That's a great background also.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Steve Kaluski
12-19-2020, 01:59 PM
Hi Geoffrey, I also added a fraction more to the LHS too. :w3

Paul Burdett
12-19-2020, 04:52 PM
Thanks all for the feedback/suggestions.
Stu: The Wagtail uses grasses, spider webs, hair and fur to construct its nest.
Yes to opening up the blacks.
Steve: Thank you for the repost...blacks look better. Can't recall if I sharpened the nest...will go back and check. I don't like the canvas extension on the LHS...I can see the duplicate markings on the branch.

P.S. I'm not getting email notifications to replies...unsure why...just started happening recently.

Steve Kaluski
12-19-2020, 05:22 PM
Paul, it’s purely for illustration, as I said, using the raw will deliver a better result.

Paul Burdett
12-19-2020, 05:33 PM
No problem Steve. Here's another take with the original crop. I also opened up the blacks a tad, sharpened the nest and tried some eye work (not sure how successful my eye work is though). Thoughts?

Cheers.

Brian Sump
12-19-2020, 07:24 PM
Paul, this is a very interesting frame. There are many things to study, and I like that!

I think you framed it about as well as you could. And the name Wagtail cracks me up... sounds like a puppy or something :-)

It is fascinating that the subject looks in focus but the nest appears not to be. I like the nest in RP better, but possibly a little too much on the sharpening.

Otherwise, the main thing I could offer is to warm it up a bit. Perhaps you too can see the blue on top of the head? That usually tells me my images are cold and re-adusting WB or just sliding warmth a bit might improve it.

Paul Burdett
12-19-2020, 07:30 PM
Good observations Brian. Yes...I tried sharpening the nest, but agree it may be too aggressive. I'll check the WB. Thanks Brian:)

gail bisson
12-19-2020, 08:48 PM
Sharpening the nest has really improved this image.
Agree about the WB but otherwise would be very happy to have this image in my files.
Merry Christmas Paul!
Gail

Paul Burdett
12-19-2020, 09:33 PM
Hi Gail,
Thank you for the feedback. Merry Christmas to you and yours too...let's hope 2021 brings peace and happiness (and maybe new gear?lol)

Steve Kaluski
12-20-2020, 05:06 AM
I can see why you cropped it as you did the vertical is just too dominating I feel Paul.

I also opened up the blacks a tad, sharpened the nest and tried some eye work (not sure how successful my eye work is though). Thoughts?

Not sure Paul, although you have 'opened' the blacks up, for me it's just black with little if any tonal range. Looking at the techs, as the ISO was very low, I would have suggested starting at 1/1000, especially as it's HH Paul.

Paul Burdett
12-20-2020, 05:38 PM
Glad you agree with the crop Brian. I'm actually fine with the blacks, but agree with needing a faster shutter speed (although the VR works well on the lens) Cheers.

John Mack
12-20-2020, 06:32 PM
Nice view of this wagtail nest out in the open. Pretty neat the nest looks like it is covered in a spider web. Like the look back pose.

Jim Crosswell
12-20-2020, 07:15 PM
I like the original composition and cool nest. A new bird for me so TFS. Merry Christmas Paul!

Paul Burdett
12-21-2020, 02:56 AM
Thank you John and Jim.
John: The Wagtail does use spider webs as part of its nest construction.
Jim: I also prefer the original crop.
Merry Christmas to you both too:wave: