PDA

View Full Version : theme: boss blue jay

annmpacheco
12-17-2020, 08:38 PM
I had a great snow day today and enjoyed shooting in my yard. This is my first post with my return to Canon; R5 and 600mmIII... I have had the camera about a month and today it felt excitingly good in my hands. I have not had a chance to shoot any BIF so i have been practicing on perched birds. Steep learning curve just as Gail mentioned but it certainly has many goodies that are all worth cultivating. I processed with DPP then off to PS... Cropped, sharpened, and added a little contrast as it looked a wee flat.

R5
600mmIII
840mm

ISO 2000
1/1000

David Roach
12-17-2020, 10:12 PM
Hi Ann, Love the framing with both perch and subject. The pose fits right in and shows all the good parts (crest, wings and tail). Love the lichen and snow as well. TFS

ps
Snow on face and that eyelid....

Brian Sump
12-17-2020, 11:14 PM
Ann, lovely capture. Congrats on a first post with the R5, very wintry :-)

You captured some iridescence despite seemingly low light. Exposure looks great. Love the touches of snow on the base of the beak and brow.

Comp wise, could see a version with the subject and perch more right in frame if you had it (maybe a touch off from bottom right?).

Which color profile did you choose to start with in DPP?

Jonathan Ashton
12-18-2020, 06:00 AM
Ann looks good though I am not sure if we are getting the full benefit of your work - the SRGB profile does not appear to be embedded , when I assigned and viewed in PS - tickety boo!!

Joseph Przybyla
12-18-2020, 08:15 AM
Hi Ann, lovely Bluejay... the background is to die for, the lichens on the perch add a lot. Nice that the crest on the bird is raised. I like the image a lot. Thank you for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
12-18-2020, 08:59 AM
It was getting lonely for a while in Canon-world, so it is nice to see some folks rejoining the ship!:t3 Nice simple image, and just enough lichen on the perch to give it character. Sharp, good crest-raise. I do wish for a bit more "life" in the eye, perhaps by judiciously lifting a small section of the apparent reflection. Have you tried a version with the subject lower and right in the frame?

Krishna Prasad kotti
12-18-2020, 11:31 PM
Very nice colors, perch and head angle.

TFS

Stu Bowie
12-19-2020, 05:42 AM
Hi Ann, I'm sure you are loving your new toy, and its makes one want to go out all the time and capture any subject. Good inquisitive pose, and I like the colours on this fellow. Good result for ISO 2000, which is probably standard for this camera. If this were mine, I would move everything over to the RHS. Keep warm.

Geoffrey Montagu
12-19-2020, 01:39 PM
A+ for a month with the new gear, Ann. I like what you've done with this beautiful capture in overcast light. Good feather deal and I like the falling snow, and patch collected near the main stem.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

John Mack
12-20-2020, 06:20 PM
I like the look down pose. The two small branches in the blue jays back are not ideal. Have fun with the new gear.