PDA

View Full Version : Crested Caracara...

Joseph Przybyla
12-15-2020, 02:49 PM
Yesterday Dot and I took a ride to check out Backbone Road in Babson Park, Florida. A nice mostly dirt road through citrus groves but not any birds this trip. Because we struck out there we went to Ten Mile Grade Road near Zolfo Springs, Florida. We sae more birds but most were skittish taking flight as the vehicle approached. When we had almost called it quits we spotted this Crested Caracara perched on top of a freeze damaged Orange Tree. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm F/5.6 VR AF-S ED PF HH
1/1250 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1/3 ISO 400 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm equivalent}
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Neat Image for noise reduction when needed, eye work in Photoshop to remove either a reflection or nictitating membrane from the upper part of the eye
Cropped for composition and presentation

gail bisson
12-15-2020, 03:06 PM
Very nice Joe.
I just wish for a bit more head turn.
I would also clone out that teeny tiny bit of leaf protruding from the lhs of frame.
I also see a sharpening halo along the belly and back.
Bird looks good with the full crop and the clean look at the talons,
Gail

Kurt Bowman
12-15-2020, 03:31 PM
I echo Gails comments on the head turn and also see the halo. Bird is very sharp.

Joseph Przybyla
12-15-2020, 03:33 PM
Very nice Joe.
I just wish for a bit more head turn.
I would also clone out that teeny tiny bit of leaf protruding from the lhs of frame.
I also see a sharpening halo along the belly and back.
Bird looks good with the full crop and the clean look at the talons,
Gail

Hi Gail, I have images with more head turn but then the eye is in a shadow so for posting I chose this one. I missed the tiny leaf and will remove it. I will look a the sharpening I was pretty agressive with the slider, either less amount of sharpening or a smaller sharpening radius should make the halo go away. Thank you for viewing and commenting.

Ian McLachlan
12-15-2020, 03:47 PM
..Love the colours and tone you have caught on this bird Dont mind the head looking out and away at all..i 'm not always convinced about the head turn towards the shooter because young birds are spending most of their times stayng aloft and reaching their destination.
I notice most ducks are forgiven on this site for not looking at the photographer.ie a less than perfect HA.And many waders as well in action photos in any case we really shouldn't expect it. .in my view 'the eyes have 'it 'even side on.And somrtimes you can see right into them then
This view to stir the pot Anyway .I really like this Joseph but I might take out a few sticks as its my current phobia

David Roach
12-15-2020, 04:11 PM
Not sure why, but I like the dead branches as base. EXP seems spot on to me and plenty of details. Wish for a little more on top. TFS

ps
Love the grip on precarious perch...

dankearl
12-15-2020, 09:59 PM
Very nice. You could do some weed whacking with the erase tool, but it looks fine as is.

Jonathan Ashton
12-16-2020, 03:50 AM
Super shot fine details I like it as presented, my only slight reservation is the halo as mentioned. The twigs and leaves were there - they look natural to me and they do not obstruct one's view of the bird so I personally don't feel the need to clone/patch etc.

Stu Bowie
12-16-2020, 07:10 AM
Hi Joe, excellent IQ, sharp details, and just love how we can see how those talons are 'clamped' onto the perch.

Joseph Przybyla
12-16-2020, 01:28 PM
This is another from the series with a better head angle.

Mike Poole
12-16-2020, 04:11 PM
Both good frames for me Joe, the ever so minutely slightly away head angle of the first still works for me because you're in front of the bird. Lovely details, great work

Mike

Daniel Cadieux
12-16-2020, 04:36 PM
Much better head angle on the repost - althugh the comp is rather centered on that version. Nice to see this species on something other than a fencepost.

John Mack
12-16-2020, 07:51 PM
I would take either frame. Nice to see the talons gripping the perch like that. The blue sky is nice.

Joseph Przybyla
12-17-2020, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.