PDA

View Full Version : Kaingo- Zambia sunset

Marc Mol
07-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Kaingo Safari Lodge.
Taken on a recent trip to the South Luangwa Nat Park- Zambia.
My first landscape post here.:D

Nikon D2Xs
300 f/2.8 VR
ISO 200
300mm
1/500s

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/photos/328243826_aJLNm-XL.jpg

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

carole wiley
07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Wish it were bigger. It looks very nice. I might be tempted to get rid of the two thin branches sticking up in the middle.

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi Marc,
Welcome to the forum! While I agree with Carole that removing the thin branches off the bottom may help a bit.........compositionally while in the field you definitely need to be aware of what you are clipping or cropping. I do not mind the crop off the RH side......as the tree trunk makes a very nice framiing element. On the left you have clipped the edges of the tree branch.....which head out of the frame......thus lessening the impact of the tree frame. Ideally you would also have moved right ....or waited a bit for the sun to clear all of the branches and center itself in the opening. These things I mention are not always the easiest things to do in the field............but those small details always make the image that much stronger. Hope to see many more from you and again......welcome to the forum!

Marc Mol
07-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi Roman
Thanks for your constructive comments, my attempt was to try and get the branch to cradle the sun, like a hanging
chandelier.
I''ve re-edited with some cloning and fixed up some of those small details;).
Thanks again.
Cheers
Marc

Paul Marcellini
07-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Really great tree for a silhouette. I missed the original but I like this. I agree with Roman that a bit more separation of the sun would take this up a notch.

Robert Amoruso
07-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi Marc and welcome to the Landscape Forum. Nice to have you here.

I like the monochrome look to the image with that red sun contrasting so well. Very moody. I agree with Roman's assessment on the edges. RH side is AOK with the crop but the LH side cropping of the branch edges should be avoided if possible.

Appreciate the repost. Next time, please leave the original post in place and upload the repost as a reply to the thread. This way we all understand the critique and the subsequent changes you make.

Great image and looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Noel Carboni
07-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Wow, I love that color!!!

-Noel