PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Red-necked Phalarope

Ivan Sjogren
12-11-2020, 09:47 AM
Hi all,

Not my usual style but the situation made it impossible to resist an attempt at a backlit frame as the sun was setting, the mosquitoes danced above the water surface and the Phalarope snapped away in circles. Got some nice traditional portraits but I thought I would share this instead as I'm more interested to hear people’s thoughts about if it works. Would you go even darker to highlight the contour of the bird or would you go brighter for a more natural look? As is, this is close to the original file.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II | Canon 500mm f/4.0L IS USM II | ISO 640 | 1/2000s | f/5.6

David Roach
12-11-2020, 09:55 AM
A beautiful canvas indeed... The lit water drop takes it over the top for me. TFS

annmpacheco
12-11-2020, 10:36 AM
Unique and lovely Ivan, well done! The specular hihjlights add to your image, I would clean up the lil blob inside the ULS highlight. As noted, the water drop is the icing.

Dorian Anderson
12-11-2020, 11:49 AM
Sweet rim lit frame, particularly with the specular highlights. I would go not darker because there is just enough suggestion of plumage pattern to identify the bird (though the shape/outline alone is enough). I wouldn't go lighter either
as I think that would lessen the drama. We'll see what others say!

Brian Sump
12-12-2020, 12:57 AM
Ivan, for me... stunning as is.

Pushing artistic boundaries is awesome and between the light details on the subject, the large specular highlights and the water on the beak this sets my ship asail....

Very nicely done!

Jonathan Ashton
12-12-2020, 11:41 AM
Very pleasing as presented, I like it! The only suggestion I would offer is to lower the brightness on the two highlights immediately to the right of the bird's head - so they are similar to the others- - why? - I think it draws my eye slightly from the subject

gail bisson
12-12-2020, 08:50 PM
Very artistic. I would clone out the ?mosquito or bug in the specular highlight on the upper left and would go a bit darker on the bird but I think that is a matter of personal taste.
What elevates this image is the starburst drop on the tip of the bill. Very nice to see something a bit different!
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
12-13-2020, 09:53 AM
Beautiful in its artistry and execution. A version with a touch more warmth could work as well, but nicely seen opportunity and you went for it - and quite successfully too. My favorite part is what Gail mentions: the starburst at the bill tip.

Arthur Morris
12-13-2020, 05:36 PM
Stunning as presented. The specular highlights are pretty much perfectly positioned. Usually one or two intersect the subject and ruin the image.

with love, artie