PDA

View Full Version : "Fantasia" - Wood Duck Edition

Daniel Cadieux
12-03-2020, 08:18 AM
Something a bit different. I have so many images of Wood Ducks that trying different stuff becomes almost a must! I was not originally concentrating on this individual but when I saw it bathing, even from so close, I pointed my lens on it and focused, and when the inevitable after-bath flap happened I simply kept focus and took a bunch of images. When I reviewed my images back home I was happy to see this one, with the unexpected splashing behind, and immediately thought of the old Disney classic.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure , evaluative metering, 1/800s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, cropped slightly top and right to help the comp.

David Roach
12-03-2020, 08:43 AM
Very cool, my friend.., I love that the SS was just right for clear view of head/neck and some sweet motion blur on those wings. The main BG splash looks great and the FG droplets with motion blur also add to this action image. TFS

Dorian Anderson
12-03-2020, 01:22 PM
Very different and cool. I think it works well. Exposure and detail on the face look great, and the splash really adds interest to what is effectively - an incongruously - an action headshot.

William Dickson
12-03-2020, 03:50 PM
Fun image Dan....love all the water and especially the small drops with the shake of the wing tips....Happy lookin frame..

Will

Randy Stout
12-03-2020, 06:09 PM
Daniel:

Fun experiment! I like it overall, for my personal taste I might tone down the water just a bit, it so bright , esp. to the right of the bird, that it pulls my away from the bird, rather than complimenting the bird as a framing element. Close though.

Cheers

Randy

Brian Sump
12-04-2020, 12:01 AM
Daniel, love the unique and creative aspect of this. Outside the box and that is merit worthy alone.

Great pose on this pretty lady, and mega sharp. Really nice to see the color on the head, more so than I'm used to in these parts.

Comp wise, would be neat to see a version with a little more left but cool all around frame here!

Paul Burdett
12-04-2020, 02:59 AM
Too many Wood ducks? me too...so... it's so nice to see something a little different. Really like the BG here and those multitude of small water slivers. Agree with a tad more to the left. TFS

Arthur Morris
12-04-2020, 06:26 PM
Way cool. The camera did a great job of focusing on the face. Seriously. What AF mode were you in? For me it could go a bit darker all the way around.

with love, a

Daniel Cadieux
12-04-2020, 07:52 PM
Thanks gang!

Artie, this was in AI Servo, back-button focus, single spot - one or two above center (can't remember exactly).

Stu Bowie
12-05-2020, 03:44 AM
Hi Dan, excellent detail and sharpness on the head, and the back splash following the outline of the body and head works perfectly. Is this a juvie or female.