PDA

View Full Version : The Flycatcher And The Fly...

Joseph Przybyla
12-03-2020, 06:57 AM
I saw this Eastern Phoebe perched and was setting up to photograph it when it flew off the barbed wire and snatched a fly that had strayed too close. It came back to the wire perch, I got off two frames and then it flew away with the fly. Image captured while driving along Joe Overstreet Road in Kenansville, Florida. The barbed wire is what it is, this road has it for five miles on both sides of the road. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm F/5.6 VR AF-S ED PF HH
1/1250 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 1000 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm Equivalent)
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Neat Image for noise reduction when needed
Cropped for composition and presentation

David Roach
12-03-2020, 07:27 AM
You should publish a "bird on a wire" coffee table book... Another beauty, my friend. TFS

ps
Killer BG for this encounter...

Bill Dix
12-03-2020, 10:33 AM
Good capture Joe (and Phoebe too). Super BG, nice pose. Of course I wouldn't mind if the barbed wire were rusty, but as I recall most of it looks like this. Nice work.

Jonathan Ashton
12-03-2020, 12:09 PM
A fine shot I like the pose and prey along with the perch and clear background. I am not familiar with the bird so I may be wrong but is there a colour cast, (the darker colours look as if they are carrying blue and the barbed wire looks rather blue to me).

Dorian Anderson
12-03-2020, 01:25 PM
Despite the wire, bird and bug look good. Lovely alert pose against a perfectly smooth BG. There is a lot to like here. I might crop tighter to get rid of more of the wire as that's the sore point.

William Dickson
12-03-2020, 03:52 PM
Very nice Joe....love the bird and prey, but I would like it better if the wire was rusted....and, although a lovely BG, cropped a bit tighter.

Will

Joseph Przybyla
12-04-2020, 03:14 PM
Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.

Arthur Morris
12-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Ditto all the positives above. This is an unusual posture for a phoebe. The almost fluorescent green head of the fly is great.

How long from your house to JOR?

with love, a

Joseph Przybyla
12-04-2020, 08:03 PM
Ditto all the positives above. This is an unusual posture for a phoebe. The almost fluorescent green head of the fly is great.

How long from your house to JOR?

with love, a

HI Artie, about an hour and a half. Thank you for viewing this image and commenting.