PDA

View Full Version : Loggerhead Shrike

Joseph Przybyla
11-30-2020, 02:20 PM
This bird has the nickname of Butcher Bird, know for killing prey sometimes as large as it self then impaling the prey on a stick, thorn or prong of barbed wire. This activity secures the prey for feeding. I captured this image along Joe Overstreet Road. The pastures and sod farms bordering this road attract many Loggerhead Shrike to the area. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm F/5.6 VR AF-S ED PF, image captured handheld through the open window of the vehicle
1/1250 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +2/3 ISO 1400 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm equivalent)
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2021 and Neat Image for noise reduction when needed
Cropped slightly for composition and presentation

Jonathan Ashton
11-30-2020, 02:47 PM
A fine shot Jo, I like the tones, the detail in the lores is good as is that in the plumage. I think I would have not cropped quite so tight but maybe there was good reason for this.

David Roach
11-30-2020, 03:44 PM
Such clarity ,well exposed and that eye, BG uniform and killer (must be JP)... TFS
ps
I love the framing...

Jack Backs
11-30-2020, 09:00 PM
Nice detail in the whites, maybe a little to centered.

Brian Sump
11-30-2020, 11:01 PM
Joe, man you got close here? Nicely shot.

I know the forum's swaying the other direction but I'd be one for just a touch more depth in the blacks. Not to erase the super detail you captured, but Shrikes I see are generally strong in the black band across the eyes.

Great suggestions on composition; opening a little on the left might make a notable impact.

Oh - also seems there are 2-3 white cloning marks or at least white blurs just left of the subject and far left upper corner.

Joseph Przybyla
12-01-2020, 06:03 AM
Joe, man you got close here? Nicely shot.

I know the forum's swaying the other direction but I'd be one for just a touch more depth in the blacks. Not to erase the super detail you captured, but Shrikes I see are generally strong in the black band across the eyes.

Great suggestions on composition; opening a little on the left might make a notable impact.

Oh - also seems there are 2-3 white cloning marks or at least white blurs just left of the subject and far left upper corner.

Hi Brian, thank you for viewing and commenting. Regarding the depth of the blacks on the lore, probably could go darker. I will make a virtual copy and see how much I can go without losing detail in the blacks. The 2-3 lighter marks are falling rain, there was a off and on rain showers all the time we were there. No cloning or work on the background. That is why I love going to Joe Overstreet Road for the pure backgrounds the pastures and sod farms provide although the perches are mostly fence posts or barbed wire. Thanks again, Brian, I always like your suggestions and comments.

Brian Sump
12-01-2020, 12:57 PM
Hi Brian, thank you for viewing and commenting. Regarding the depth of the blacks on the lore, probably could go darker. I will make a virtual copy and see how much I can go without losing detail in the blacks. The 2-3 lighter marks are falling rain, there was a off and on rain showers all the time we were there. No cloning or work on the background. That is why I love going to Joe Overstreet Road for the pure backgrounds the pastures and sod farms provide although the perches are mostly fence posts or barbed wire. Thanks again, Brian, I always like your suggestions and comments.

Joe, glad to hear that :-)

Ok, makes total sense on the rain drops now. Maybe you might choose to extract them since there aren't many across the frame. Either way, very small nit.

Geoffrey Montagu
12-01-2020, 02:09 PM
Hi Joe,

Love the crouched pose on weathered post. Great head turn, fine feather detail, and beautiful greens in the background. I too find Joe Overstreet Road a excellent location. Would love to return there some day.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Joseph Przybyla
12-02-2020, 08:20 AM
Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.