PDA

View Full Version : Bee on Thistle

Ed Vatza
07-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Conditions overcast.

Canon 30D; 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens with 500D Close-up Lens; handheld.

1/200 sec at f/7.1; ISO 400; 0 EV; FL 135mm; Natural light

Bruce Murden
07-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Fun shot! Great focus on the bee, and you got it with its head out of the thistle. For my tastes, I'd like a little fill light on the body (post-processing), but the head and "shoulders" still pop nicely from the BG. Also, I'd like a view with the camera a little higher on the thistle, to emphasize room to move on the flower, but that's a minor point in this lovely close-up.

John Cooper
07-08-2008, 03:39 AM
Works very well Ed with the selective focus on the bee showing great detail. The 70-200mm lens with the diopter attached makes a great combination!!

Mike Moats
07-08-2008, 05:36 AM
Hey Ed, nice capture with good details on the head area, and great colors and BG. I might be tempted to crop a little on the left side as the flower seems a little overpowering with the vibrant color.

Julie Kenward
07-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Wonderful emphasis on the bee, Ed! I agree that a little post-processing lighting might pop that bee a bit more but I also like it as is.

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi Ed,
I am fine with PP techniques.........but since i have become familiar with your work,,,,,,,I have to ask.......why no fill flash???.........the bee would have exploded off the screen......especially since you are handling it so well! More oom up top.........ok........but as these suckers move so fast........you did what you could! As presented........crop off bottom and proportionally off left. This willmake the flower less prominant and the focus will be on the bee!

Ed Vatza
07-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the feedback/critiques folks. As always, much appreciated. I didn't set out to make close-ups on Sunday. I set out to make turtle images - the canal is generally full of turtles hauled out on logs. With the overcast skies, the turtles weren't cooperating so I turned to the flowers along the canal and attached the 500D to the 70-200.

Roman, I had the flash in my pack but just decided to leave it there since my wife and I were on a 6+ mile walk and I had the camera over my shoulder. Besides I wanted to work with natural light. :)

Finally, I think I may have an image or two with more room at the top. I will check.

Gus Cobos
07-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Great capture and image. I love the color combination...:cool:

Steve Foss
07-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Love the comp, Ed, although I think enough removal of the bottom of the image to center the bee top-to-bottom would give it a different, perhaps more compelling, comp. If you as Mike said feel the blossom overcomes the bee colorwise, a bit of desaturation of reds and increased saturation of yellows would lessen that impact.

I really like it as it is.