PDA

View Full Version : Hooded Merganser

Jim Crosswell
11-25-2020, 04:11 PM
This was taken a couple of weeks ago near my house. Hope you enjoy the image. A lower angle was impossible but I like the water anyways.

Nikon D500
Sigma 150-600 @600mm
ISO 1000
f8
1/1000s
Handheld on a steep bank

gail bisson
11-25-2020, 05:32 PM
Nice to see you posting Jim!
Nice image.
The merganser looks great.
The water is a bit busy and a lower POV would have been great if possible.
perfect HA. Nice catchlight in the eye.
I might put her higher up in the frame.
Some may want you to pull more detail out of the darker plumage but I am Ok with overall exposure. Whites under the chin look good.

Jim Crosswell
11-25-2020, 05:42 PM
Nice to see you posting Jim!
Nice image.
The merganser looks great.
The water is a bit busy and a lower POV would have been great if possible.
perfect HA. Nice catchlight in the eye.
I might put her higher up in the frame.
Some may want you to pull more detail out of the darker plumage but I am Ok with overall exposure. Whites under the chin look good.

Thanks Gail. A lower angle was impossible due to the steepness of the bank. An attempt may have put me in the water over my head. Thanks for your kind words and suggestions.

Joseph Przybyla
11-26-2020, 07:45 AM
Hi Jim, nice image of a merganser. Interesting color on the water, sharp feather detail on the bird, all work well together. I don't mind this POV, most time this is what you get from me. I don't have to sneak up on birds in florida so sitting works just fine. The last time I crawled in the mud was in Vietnam and being 77 does have some limitations. I like the image, thank you for sharing.

John Mack
11-26-2020, 07:49 AM
The painterly water is very nice. The detail on the hen looks nice as well. Framing is good.

Geoffrey Montagu
11-26-2020, 12:18 PM
She's a beauty, Jim. You handled the harsh light well and I like the complimentary colors reflected in the water.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

David Roach
11-26-2020, 12:36 PM
Love the water and thus the POV on this one. I second your great handling of slightly harsh light. TFS

ps
Good to see you posting, my friend...

Daniel Cadieux
11-26-2020, 08:06 PM
Great to see a post from you indeed!! Cute little merganser. Sharp, good subtle head turn. I love the water rings around the subject. Blue streak crossing behind the head a touch unfortunate, but overall I like the image a lot!

Jim Crosswell
11-30-2020, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the kind comments and suggestions.