PDA

View Full Version : Petite Preener...

David Roach
11-17-2020, 01:41 PM
EOS R RF 100-500 RF 2xtc @1000 f14 1/1300 ISO 3200 HH, Manual EXP, large crop (~25% of FF)

AF point on face at F14. Went to backyard to try butterflies with new TC and found this beauty preening high in the oak canopy with late sun spotlight.

dankearl
11-17-2020, 05:12 PM
Focus looks like rear feathers, not on face... I do like these Hummer poses...

William Dickson
11-17-2020, 06:51 PM
I agree about the critical focus point...If it had been on the head that would make so much difference, as you deffo got the mood here.

Will

Paul Burdett
11-17-2020, 09:10 PM
Agree re the focus, but what a lovely bird, pose and colours. Really like the BG too. Would love to be able to see Hummers one day... none in this neck of the woods:)

Krishna Prasad kotti
11-18-2020, 01:01 AM
The black background works well to create a spot lighting effect.
Agree This would have been a good keeper if Focusing was on the head.

TFS

David Roach
11-18-2020, 05:09 AM
The black background works well to create a spot lighting effect.
Agree This would have been a good keeper if Focusing was on the head.

TFS

Thanks to all for valued comments. Your eagle eyes really helped. Went back and checked raw and indeed the lower right part of the single point focus box was on the feathers while the upper left part of the box was on the beak/neck. The single point box on the R actually has many DP focus points within. So, yes, the camera chose the closest points within for focus. Thanks again for all valued opinions.

Steve Kaluski
11-18-2020, 04:27 PM
Hi David, I like the pose, but there appears to be a lot of posterisation and within the shadows a lot of colour noise. Did you 'push' the colours in PP? Whites look/appaer a bit hot too. I'm wondering if the FP was more on the white of the neck where it meets the 'emerald' green you may have more 'in focus'????

I tried to even out the posterisation and remove the colour noise so you have a comparison David, but you have more of the 'halo' appearing to the RHS sadly.

TFS
Steve

David Roach
11-18-2020, 09:14 PM
Hi David, I like the pose, but there appears to be a lot of posterisation and within the shadows a lot of colour noise. Did you 'push' the colours in PP? Whites look/appaer a bit hot too. I'm wondering if the FP was more on the white of the neck where it meets the 'emerald' green you may have more 'in focus'????

I tried to even out the posterisation and remove the colour noise so you have a comparison David, but you have more of the 'halo' appearing to the RHS sadly.

TFS
Steve

Hi Steve,
I believe the posterization is the large crop. There was lots of dark blue and green OOF BG. With my meager PP knowledge, I just tried to burn to reduce impact but colors still there. At full size no posterization. Also, I actually pulled up the whites in camera raw. The large crop and not quite correct critical focus dooms this one but I was amazed at detail in a large crop for such slow glass.
Peace and Thanks Again,
David