PDA

View Full Version : Least Tern and Juvenile

Phil Ertel
07-07-2008, 07:33 PM
This image was captured on 25-Jun-08 at Isle of Palms in South Carolina at 7:14 PM. This adult had brought several minnows to this juvenile. After much crawling around this was the best light angle I could achieve. I chose this location so I could best frame both birds in the best light and keep this both as parallel to the sensor as possible. I could have moved more to my left but I would have ended up in the water and as I watched a 4-5 foot shark feeding within a foot or two of the shore line I chose not to enter the water (I know I am a wimp but I like my toes). I would have like for less clutter on the sand.

Specifications:
Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel
Lens: Canon 400mm f/5.6 USM
Exposure: 1/640s at f5.6
Exposure Compensation: +0.33
Exposure Mode : Auto
Exposure Program: Aperture Priority
Flash: did not fire
Metering Mode: evaluative

Processing:
ACR
Crop: piano,
Slight Temperature increase: 6050K
Slight increase in exposure: 0.25
Blacks: +3
Sharpening

CS3:
Curves
cloned out some trash and out of focus items
lightened section of back ground that was dark.

Thanks for looking and many thanks for your critiques.

Regards,

Phil

carole wiley
07-07-2008, 07:49 PM
I like that you got the two birds, subject is very nice indeed. It is a bit on the warm side for my taste and I would prefer more room for the adults wing. Also looks a bit soft to me.

Lance Peters
07-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Love the action- BG is good - head angles are good - on my monitor it does look a little soft.

Sharpened it a bit and removed just a tad of the yellows. Less clutter for the sand would have been good , but hey sometimes you have to go with what you have. Gave the eyes a bit of a touch up.

You do bring up a good point though - that needs clarification.

Head Angles - I to am under the assumption that the ideal angle is parrell to the sensor - or at least 2-3 degress towards the plane of the sensor.

Is this Correct - reason I ask is I see lots of shots with no where near this - labelled great head angle. Just seeking clarification for my own knowledge.

:)

Alfred Forns
07-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi Phil ...... good choice not becoming bait !!!! Works every time !!! :)

I like how you composed the scene, good pose for both and within dof !!! Agree with more room by the wings

Reworked what do you think?

Alfred Forns
07-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi Lance there is no ideal head angle just be best for the particular bird !!

What we are trying to do is have the eyeball in the same plane as the bill tip !! Both will be in focus This really applies for birds close up but if they are further away the dof increases so the exact angle is not as important but still don't want looking the other way !!!

For this pair I like the head angle of he youngster since its looking at the parent !!! .... btw great repost and critique Lance !!!

Lance Peters
07-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Hi Al - thanks for the clarification.

:)

Phil Ertel
07-08-2008, 06:11 AM
Carole, Lance, and Alfred,

Thanks very much for the critiques and the reposts. I can not believe how much I have learned since joining this community. I think I learn something every time I visit. I do not mind having my images reworked and posted as I am a very visual learner and I find this to be most helpful. As was once said a picture is worth a thousand words. I will take all the help I can get.:o<O:p</O:p

Your suggestions and reposts did improve the image.

I agree that there was a need for more room at the top. The reposts look better.
Yes it was a little soft. I checked the history in CS3 and it appears that I forgot to re-sharpen after resizing the image for posting. I guess I shouldn’t process pictures and try and watch baseball at the same time or if I do I need to spit out my gum. J
I also think the reduction in yellows helped. The natural light that evening had a soft golden tint. I probably should not have increased the temperature during conversion.Thank you all so very much for your comments and help.<O:p</O:p

Best Regards,

Phil

Oscar Zangroniz
07-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Great capture Phil. Excellent composition and background.
Regards,

Jodee Novak
07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I love the moment you caught here, Phil - and, especially considering the restraints (like losing half your foot) you were up against, I think you did a great job with the composition and angles. This has been a great thread for learning - thank you, Lance and Alfred, for the reposts, which really show beautifully how the improvements (in sharpening and temperature, as well as adding canvas for the adult's wing) make a big difference. And, I really appreciated the discussion on head angle - that was VERY helpful.

Phil, you made me laugh - for a guy trying to do so many things at once, I think you did a great job working with this image!