PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Gad

Brian Sump
11-09-2020, 10:09 AM

Gadwall Hen.

I have a couple near full frame of the whole subject so took a crack at a portrait, which I am not as accustomed to creating.

R5
600mm + 2.0x
Handheld
ISO 1600
1/3200
f8

LR and PS, DN. Cleaned up a few small bright spots on the subject.

David Roach
11-09-2020, 10:16 AM
The colors, the tones, the details, the framing and the light. Wonderous all... TFS

ps
The water action and droplets...
DSLR or Mirrorless, same result in your hands...

Arthur Morris
11-09-2020, 05:32 PM
Wesley, Sharp and sweet light. You handled the reflection perfectly. As the water is moving, note that the specular highlights in the water -- reflections of the brightest ones on the bird's head -- are quite elongated. That also might indicate a bit of motion blur. You might want to clean up those in the water.

with love, a

dankearl
11-09-2020, 07:54 PM
Nice light and color, Water dripping off beak is nice, I agree about removing the reflection highlights.

Brian Sump
11-09-2020, 11:17 PM
Thank you each of you.

Sometimes I like specular highlights, in particular frames and fashions, as they can create an artistic flair and that was my feelings here. But comments noted, perhaps they are better off left out in this shot.

William Dickson
11-10-2020, 03:46 PM
Lovely golden colours with a beautiful pose ...The water around the bill sure adds...Good detail and sharpness...I don't mind the highlights...they add a wee bit drama.

Will

Krishna Prasad kotti
11-10-2020, 09:26 PM
Nice Colors. I see what your are going for.

But the highlights in the reflection needs to be cloned out.

TFS

gail bisson
11-11-2020, 06:55 AM
Beautiful light and POV and I love the droplets of water on the head.
Jealous of the golden water- I rarely get that in Nova Scotia!
I am fine with the highlights.
I find the crop a bit awkward- my taste of course. I feel like it needs a bit more on the left.
I have had similar crops myself and am never happy with them-not sure why it never pleases my eye!
Gail

Brian Sump
11-11-2020, 11:57 PM
Nice Colors. I see what your are going for.

But the highlights in the reflection needs to be cloned out.

TFS

Krishna, appreciate you offering your suggestions.

Beautiful light and POV and I love the droplets of water on the head.
Jealous of the golden water- I rarely get that in Nova Scotia!
I am fine with the highlights.
I find the crop a bit awkward- my taste of course. I feel like it needs a bit more on the left.
I have had similar crops myself and am never happy with them-not sure why it never pleases my eye!
Gail

Gail, yeah I know sometimes they just don't meet the little critic in our minds. But appreciate your feedback as always.

Daniel Cadieux
11-12-2020, 08:32 AM
I'm a big fan of close-ups like this, so this has got my attention! I love the water being squeezed out of the bill at the mid-point. Great colous, details. One option would be to blend away the pale blue line from bill to right edge, but all-in-all this is super.

Brian Sump
11-12-2020, 10:52 AM
I'm a big fan of close-ups like this, so this has got my attention! I love the water being squeezed out of the bill at the mid-point. Great colous, details. One option would be to blend away the pale blue line from bill to right edge, but all-in-all this is super.

Ha it's funny you say so Daniel; after I posted I noticed that more prominently. Good suggestion and thanks for the comments, glad you like it!