PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Palm...

David Roach
11-04-2020, 11:47 AM
EOS R RF 100-500 Rf 1.4xtc @700 f10 1/2000 ISO 3200 HH, Manual EXP

A little closer(sunset in eye), little cleaner BG, just slight SH for presentation this time. Again ISO 3200 with ETTR and chrominance and luminance NR in DPP.

Dorian Anderson
11-04-2020, 07:53 PM
Facial detail and lighting is great, as is the curious look, but the bird is way too tight in the frame. Back off him a bit and this will be really nice.

Steve Kaluski
11-05-2020, 04:01 AM
Hi David, agree with Dorian, it's way to big in frame. Again the eye could do with a bot more localised USM, but I'm puzzled why the beak isn't sharp? There is a halo from your NR mask along the underneath of the branch. Like the soft light and overall colour palette.

David I think it's always useful to add in, if the posting is FF, cropped slight or large. Ideally, framing in camera is the way to go, allowing some tolerance for the final cropping in PP, say 10-15%, in doing so you maintain IQ. I'm just wondering if either you were just too close, and or removing the 1.4 may have offered more DoF, so the legs are in focus too? David are you just using CH & L for NR, with no NR. You should be applying NR first, then juggling/toggling CH & L.

TFS
Steve

David Roach
11-05-2020, 05:31 AM
Hi David, agree with Dorian, it's way to big in frame. Again the eye could do with a bot more localised USM, but I'm puzzled why the beak isn't sharp? There is a halo from your NR mask along the underneath of the branch. Like the soft light and overall colour palette.

David I think it's always useful to add in, if the posting is FF, cropped slight or large. Ideally, framing in camera is the way to go, allowing some tolerance for the final cropping in PP, say 10-15%, in doing so you maintain IQ. I'm just wondering if either you were just too close, and or removing the 1.4 may have offered more DoF, so the legs are in focus too? David are you just using CH & L for NR, with no NR. You should be applying NR first, then juggling/toggling CH & L.

TFS
Steve

Hi Steve,
This bird was close for a very narrow DOF at 700mm. First, no stopping down would have helped, second, this is me chasing very flitty warblers through bushes as they go about there business in manual mode. Not much time to react as they happen to land in a reasonable spot for semi-clear BG. It is FF top to bottom and I mistakenly posted too big using the value recommended for longer width. If I was just going for warblers, I would have taken off the TC as these bushes are right next to the boardwalk at these wetlands. I believe I only ran one round of NR as first step in PP. The selection was only the body of the bird and then inverse. So, not sure why branch would be affected at edges. Now , CH & L? I am using NI for noise reduction as well as Luminance and Chrominance sliders in DPP before conversion to TIF. Thanks for the learnings, mate.
Peace,
David

Steve Kaluski
11-05-2020, 05:51 AM
So, not sure why branch would be affected at edges. Now , CH & L? I am using NI for noise reduction as well as Luminance and Chrominance sliders in DPP before conversion to TIF. Thanks for the learnings, mate

Hi Dave, OK to the shooting bits, but the NR...

I'm not sure who is suggesting NR is applied to the Tiff, but it's all wrong, NR, MUST be done at the Raw stage, never ever on a 'baked' tiff, this is why NR is built into Raw converters, so use it in DPP, the result will be far better. :S3:

Kurt Bowman
11-05-2020, 01:15 PM
Love the feather detail, but agree about too tight and I find myself also wishing for more DOF. Obviously already being at f/10, not sure you could have been able to get there even at f14 based on your proximity. I read you remarks and understand you didn't have much control over it.