PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile harrier

arash_hazeghi
11-03-2020, 02:14 AM
A frame of a juvenile northern harrier, the juveniles are dark rusty brown and morph into a yellowish spotted plumage

A9 II 600GM + 2X TC ISO-1600 f/8 at 1/3200 sec hand held processed with C1P. hope you like it

Jonathan Ashton
11-03-2020, 01:14 PM
Arash have you used Noise Reduction??

arash_hazeghi
11-03-2020, 02:28 PM
Arash have you used Noise Reduction??

no...

Volkan Akgul
11-03-2020, 05:15 PM
Very good Arash. Congratulations.

Paul Burdett
11-03-2020, 06:06 PM
Another stunner Arash. Love the lighting/moody atmosphere here. The body does seem a tad soft (maybe why Jonathan asked about NR?), but I'm fine as is. Just wondering if the brighter area at the bottom left could be toned down a little...it is drawing my eye to it.

arash_hazeghi
11-03-2020, 10:06 PM
Another stunner Arash. Love the lighting/moody atmosphere here. The body does seem a tad soft (maybe why Jonathan asked about NR?), but I'm fine as is. Just wondering if the brighter area at the bottom left could be toned down a little...it is drawing my eye to it.

thanks Paul, the body is not soft, this is a juvenile harrier (not an adult you might be used to seeing) and that's exactly how the plumage looks like, I have previously pointed this out and posted similar images (where the same issue was raised) many times on this very forum but I guess maybe you did not pay attention or do not remember the older threads e.g.'s below

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/148966-Harrier-in-last-light?highlight=juvenile+harrier

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/149807-Harrier-flyby?highlight=juvenile+harrier

cheers

Jonathan Ashton
11-04-2020, 08:00 AM
I recall and understood what you said perfectly well Arash, it is my issue the image just doesn't sit right with me - it's just me! I would love to see the raw file.

Bill Dix
11-04-2020, 09:48 AM
Sweet light and detail. Lovely flight angle.

arash_hazeghi
11-04-2020, 11:31 AM
I recall and understood what you said perfectly well Arash, it is my issue the image just doesn't sit right with me - it's just me! I would love to see the raw file.

Hi Jon, yes I think it's just you :)

Paul Burdett
11-04-2020, 04:44 PM
Hi Arash. I do find it difficult to add constructive criticism to your photos as your work is always inspirational to say the least. Thank you for the links to the previous posts...I do pay attention, but admit that I don't always recall previous posts...so point taken. However, I think each to their own in terms of how an image may/may not appeal. I did comment that the brighter patch on the left side does draw my eye somewhat and asked whether you think it could be toned down? On the flip side it does seem that the light was coming from the left side (where the patch is) and is lighting the front of the bird nicely. Thoughts?

John Mack
11-04-2020, 05:56 PM
The head looks nice and shiny.

Dorian Anderson
11-04-2020, 08:05 PM
Our eyes go right to his super sharp face, and the image makes a powerful connection as a result. Background is great and warm color on bird is great. Only wish the far wing was a touch higher and clear of the face.

dankearl
11-04-2020, 08:22 PM
My only wish is better wing position on far side, I think you know what good detail is...

arash_hazeghi
11-05-2020, 02:14 AM
Hi Arash. I do find it difficult to add constructive criticism to your photos as your work is always inspirational to say the least. Thank you for the links to the previous posts...I do pay attention, but admit that I don't always recall previous posts...so point taken. However, I think each to their own in terms of how an image may/may not appeal. I did comment that the brighter patch on the left side does draw my eye somewhat and asked whether you think it could be toned down? On the flip side it does seem that the light was coming from the left side (where the patch is) and is lighting the front of the bird nicely. Thoughts?

Hi Paul thanks for the comments, appreciate your critique, I could fill in the left patch or burn it a bit but I am a bit lazy ;) and it isn't such an eye sore but it could be an improvement

cheers

arash_hazeghi
11-05-2020, 02:23 AM
Our eyes go right to his super sharp face, and the image makes a powerful connection as a result. Background is great and warm color on bird is great. Only wish the far wing was a touch higher and clear of the face.

thanks Dorian, I have a couple with the wings fully up or down, which might be more appealing to some. This pose is the typical harrier "V" which is how they fly most of the time. Harriers are relatively slow birds and they prefer gliding to flapping. The keep their wings at a shallow angle and swing their body left and right to navigate the terrain. We can often identify the harriers from afar by just looking at this flight pattern

Paul Burdett
11-05-2020, 02:54 AM
Hi Arash...I appreciate your comments. I don't believe you're a bit lazy:w3

Arthur Morris
11-07-2020, 02:13 PM
Sweet light and super sharp. I too would love to see the near wing higher (in a perfect world) to eliminate the slight shadow on the underwing.

with love, a