PDA

View Full Version : Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

Joseph Przybyla
11-02-2020, 06:49 AM
I captured this image along Joe Overstreet Road in Kenansville, Florida. Some viewer will probably wish the perch was other than barbed wire. This area is the only area I know of where these flycatchers are. The area is about a five mile long road that ends at Lake Kissimmee, on both sides of the road are pasture with cows or pastures that have become sod farms. Barbed wire runs the length of the road with few bushes or trees. The birds use the wire rather than bushes most likely because the wire is more stable for a perch in the wind. This image is from last year, the birds are back this year but I have only seen them at a distance. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED HH
1/800 Matrix Metering EV -2/3 ISO 100 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 400mm
Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2020 and Neat Image for noise reduction when needed
Cropped for composition and presentation

P.S. Learn more about Joe Overstreet Road in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide that Artie and I co-authored. It is available at this link The BAA Middle of Florida Site Guide (https://birdsasart-shop.com/the-baa-middle-of-florida-photographic-site-guide/)

gail bisson
11-02-2020, 08:16 AM
This is such a great bird!
I am Ok with the perch and like the ? horse hair caught on it.
Image looks quite dark and the whites greyed out. Worth a revisit in PP,
Gail

Joseph Przybyla
11-02-2020, 08:54 AM
This is such a great bird!
I am Ok with the perch and like the ? horse hair caught on it.
Image looks quite dark and the whites greyed out. Worth a revisit in PP,
Gail

Hi Gail, thank you for viewing and commenting. I reduced the blacks, I think this is better. Peterson describes the bird as "A beautiful bird,pale pearly gray with a extremely long scissor like tail". I think the gray is correct but will take advise from anyone more knowledgeable. This pair of birds have been back for the last two years. Thanks again.

Steve Kaluski
11-02-2020, 01:32 PM
Hi Joe, RP is better but you can still go further, this is with a third + of Exp and popped some Saturation in to +20, but removed the Blue in the wire too. I feel you can also reduce some off the top.

Being totally radical how about flipping it!!!! :Whoa!:

TFS
Steve

Joseph Przybyla
11-02-2020, 02:28 PM
Hi Joe, RP is better but you can still go further, this is with a third + of Exp and popped some Saturation in to +20, but removed the Blue in the wire too. I feel you can also reduce some off the top.

Being totally radical how about flipping it!!!! :Whoa!:

TFS
Steve

Thanks Steve, will work on your suggestions. Me thinks you don't like left to right...:2eyes2:

Steve Kaluski
11-02-2020, 02:52 PM
LOL Joe, you know my previous BKG, so occasionally I slip back in and be rather radical. All I try to do as you, is to get folk just to stop and ponder, capturing the image is just half the process... :w3

John Mack
11-02-2020, 07:55 PM
I enjoy these images with the barb wire perches. Nice pose on the flycatcher. The background is spot on.

Joseph Przybyla
11-03-2020, 01:58 PM
Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.

Daniel Cadieux
11-03-2020, 02:50 PM
I'm OK with the barbed wire too - I only wish it was weathered and rusted. But I'd take this any day! Yes, the repost looks brighter and cheerier.

William Dickson
11-03-2020, 03:23 PM
Great colours on the bird Joe...Lovely feather details and pose. Lovely BG. Yes, the perch would look better rusted, but very nice as is.

Will