PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Semipalmated Plover Challenge.

Daniel Cadieux
10-27-2020, 05:49 PM
One of the very few shorebirds I photographed during this year's fall migration, but at least it was very cooperative! It was the lone bird on the beach, and I was the lone person there, so it was a fun solo session with this active plover.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, slight rotation and crop (about 80% FF). I do note some bit of posterization in the white above - not sure why...just ignore :t3.

David Roach
10-27-2020, 06:53 PM
Perfect use of DOF and the colors are killer. TFS

gail bisson
10-27-2020, 07:57 PM
In real life, I love it when these inquisitive plovers march towards me, staring down the lens barrel but when I see the image on the back of the camera, I am never happy.
I think it is because it is impossible to get both legs within DOF with our long lenses.So when I see this image, I wish the rear leg was sharp.
Otherwise, love the low POV, IQ and the vegetation on the left adds that needed pop of color. Face and beak look great and sharp.
Nice frame,
Gail

arash_hazeghi
10-28-2020, 01:39 AM
cool low agnle and pose Dan. vegetation is not bad but I am wondering how it would look like w/o it, clean and more abstract for this pose...
TFS

Bill Dix
10-28-2020, 10:12 AM
That's one bold plover (as the juvies often are). I personally like the green. Given the low light I'm not sure you could have done much more with the DOF; a couple of stops probably wouldn't have made much difference.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
10-28-2020, 10:47 AM
Amazing low angle and head on pose with the raised right foot. Nicely done.

Arthur Morris
10-28-2020, 03:40 PM
Love this one. No shock there. So what did you do to get it pissed off at you?

with love, artie

annmpacheco
10-28-2020, 07:02 PM
Gunslinger extraordinaire!!! Good suggestions, love the emotion in this image, so nice the beak is sharp too. really like this one Dan

Brian Sump
10-29-2020, 08:53 AM
Daniel, cool timing to capture this one. And straight down the barrel is almost always a winner IMO.

For me the foliage adds to the frame. Love the light striations of the horizon in the bkg too.

I too wish for the rear foot in focus but definitely appreciate it as is too.

TFS.

Dorian Anderson
10-29-2020, 09:33 AM
Dude needs to go on a diet! Head-on body shots of shorebirds are so funny! They look so slim from the side and so round from the front! Love the scowl and low angle. Green behinds adds interest and soft tones are lovely.