PDA

View Full Version : Need Confirmation of ID as Sardinian Warbler

Stephen Stephen
07-07-2008, 06:01 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Birds2/SardinianWarbler2.jpg

I believe that this a a Male Sardinian Warbler. I created this image at the Parc de la Ciutadella in Barcelona, Spain on June 25. The bird was in deep shade and I only managed to get one poor capture before it flew away. I know that this is not a good quality photo but If it is the species I think it is than it's a another Life List addition for me. :D

Canon Rebel XT, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 + 2x teleconverter @400mm. F7.1 ISO 400, 1/200 sec. Handheld with fill flash from camera's built in flash unit. Cropped to about 50% of full frame.

Daniel Cadieux
07-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Stephen, a quick Google "Image" search of Sardinian Warbler revealed images that seem to concur with your species' ID. A very good looking bird!! :-)

John Chardine
07-07-2008, 07:51 PM
I agree, based on Lars Jonsson's excellent field guide "Birds of Europe". Plumage and range match Sardinian. I remember this park well Stephen. I visited for a meeting last year and we met in the small museum on the corner of the park.

Stephen Stephen
07-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks Dan and John. I was really kicking myself for not staying at least one more day to try and photograph a few more bird species but I guess that I was still fortunate to add 7 new species to my photo collection, including 2 life list additions, in about 4 hours of free time.

Juan Aragonés
07-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Stephen, this is sardinian warbler for sure, a very common species here in Spain

Stephen Stephen
07-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Gracias Juan. I was quite sure of the identification but it's nice to get it confirmed by others. In the shade the body poster reminded me of a Wagtail but once I uploaded the image to my computer I knew that it was something else.