View Full Version : Tree Creeper

William Dickson
10-26-2020, 03:48 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 1.4iii
f/5.6
1/800
ISO 3200

As the name suggests these small birds move around tree barks picking up insects, using those claws to grip, and tail for balance....They are always on the move, so getting one with a good pose and HA is not so easy...Captured in woodland near to my hometown...HH...ACR and PS2021

Will

Geoffrey Montagu
10-26-2020, 04:02 PM
Hi William,

Great capture of this fine looking bird. You are very correct regarding their constant moving around, as well our Brown Creeper. You've done extremely well getting all that detail and sharpness. The light is exceptional, great tree trunk set against a complimentary background. Love those feet.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Jack Backs
10-26-2020, 04:11 PM
Very nice image. Sharp for 1/800s with this species. The noise at iso 3200 cleaned up well.

dankearl
10-26-2020, 06:46 PM
Best Creeper image I have ever seen.
Excellent.

Bill Dix
10-26-2020, 07:10 PM
As said above, these are incredibly tough birds to capture well. Always moving, often on the wrong side of the tree, usually in poor light.. This is an exceptional capture with good HA, exposure. I would only wish for a little more room above for him to creep into. Otherwise an exceptional capture.

Jonathan Ashton
10-27-2020, 05:09 AM
Very nice indeed Will, one to be proud of - such a tricky subject.

gail bisson
10-27-2020, 07:09 AM
Great BG and love the clear view of the feet.
As Bill says- these guys are always on the wrong side of the tree!
My only wish is that his eye was not slightly squinty.
Very well done Will!

Brian Sump
10-27-2020, 09:10 AM
Will, looks very sharp. A wonderful look at those ferocious talons too :-D

Exp looks great and processed well. Gail mentioned the eye, good point however I'd be good with it but just wish for a tad better HA.

Overall very nice!

annmpacheco
10-27-2020, 10:57 AM
Terrific capture Will, sharp and detailed. Would like to see more room above, thats very nice overall.

Daniel Cadieux
10-27-2020, 05:43 PM
Wow, look at those claws. Excellent image of a tough subject (same as our Brown Creeper as you've already read a few times lol).

William Dickson
10-28-2020, 11:29 AM
Thanks All....Much appreciated

Will

Arthur Morris
10-28-2020, 06:28 PM
Hey Will, Congrats on a super-sharp stunner. The toes are amazing, the light soft, and the bird, a real challenge. From where I sit, however, there is a basic compositional flaw: there is too much room behind the bird that does nothing for the image but unbalance it. I believe that a crop from our left so that the grey space is equal to the width of the tree would strengthen this one immensely. And likely bring it pretty close to a 2 X 3.

IAC, still wish it were mine.

with love, artie

Arthur Morris
10-28-2020, 06:29 PM
ps: it is easy to un-squint the eye by warping a Quick Mask. LMK if you need help there.

a

William Dickson
10-29-2020, 11:18 AM
Hey Will, Congrats on a super-sharp stunner. The toes are amazing, the light soft, and the bird, a real challenge. From where I sit, however, there is a basic compositional flaw: there is too much room behind the bird that does nothing for the image but unbalance it. I believe that a crop from our left so that the grey space is equal to the width of the tree would strengthen this one immensely. And likely bring it pretty close to a 2 X 3.

IAC, still wish it were mine.

with love, artie

Thanks for that Artie....Much appreciated