PDA

View Full Version : The tree

Johannes Glännman
07-07-2008, 04:59 PM
So, here we go with my second picture on this forum.

This is my way to try and show people the small things in the big world. I wanted to show that a fallen tree can be very beautiful if you only look at the right way. In the same time I wanted to create a mysterious picture that makes the fantasty flow..

Say what you think. The place is from an old swedish forrest.

cheers // Johannes

Nikon D80 + Nikon AF-S 12-24/4 and some afterwork in my computer.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Jonte_rm/20080601-_DSC0023-2.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
07-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi Johannes,
My wife once accused me that I only composed images with dead trees..........which of course was true as they are the most interesting. The image you have posted is extremely dark. Compositionally it looks very good....but is dificult to tell with the overall darkness. Moody and dark...........I really like. this needs to be lightened considerably for presentation......and then it would be fair to comment on it.

Johannes Glännman
07-08-2008, 02:23 AM
"In the same time I wanted to create a mysterious picture that makes the fantasty flow."

I dont think you get that with a bright daylight picture where you se every little detail :)

"Moody and dark...........I really like. this needs to be lightened considerably for presentation......and then it would be fair to comment on it."

I dont really understand what you say there. Or yes I understand but it seems that you are arguing with yourself ?

mvh // Johannes

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi Johannes,
I re-posted your image to better show what I meant. I only moved the midtone slider in PS to 1.06. This really didn't take away any of th dark mood but actually strenghtened it IMO as it goes to instead of black.......just a bit of shadow in the BG to make me wonder what is thee. In the original..........it was lacking that bit of detail. I hope others reply to the lightness. On the composition part........you placed the tree very well and like the way it is getting darker in the frame....going from the lighter FG to the shadows and mystery of the darker woods. Ultimately you have to satisfy yourself....so I am just sharing possible improvements that i feel would suit my tastes.
PS I changed the name

Johannes Glännman
07-08-2008, 09:20 AM
I am very happy you take your time and explaine for me, but I see the two pictures as exactly the same picture because that you have not change the name on the picture.. Can you please do that so I see the difference and understand it better ?

Cheers // johannes

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi Johannes,
Here it is with the name change. You can move the slider even more........but I did very little.

Johannes Glännman
07-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Roman. I now see the different. It is not huge but it makes the picture better and more detailed. I tested it myself in PS so I understood what you did...

Thank you for the help on that one. Really kind.

Cheers // Johannes

Paul Marcellini
07-08-2008, 06:28 PM
I also like the edited version, as details are now a little more visible. It seems maybe a little orton too, which adds to the mood. Well done and way to get something different.

Robert Amoruso
07-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Johannes,

Welcome to the forum and posting this unique study of the fallen tree. I like what Roman did and feel it strengthens the image while maintaining the attributes you mention that make you like the image.

Looking forward to more of your work.

Johannes Glännman
07-09-2008, 03:16 AM
Thanks guys.. I also like it and I am verry happy he showed me how...

Happy you liked the picture :) It is hard to get the right "composition" in the forrest and it takes a while to see how. I´m happy you liked this..

cheers // Johannes

Michel Pilon
07-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Hello Johannes

Robert wrote:

I like what Roman did and feel it strengthens the image while maintaining the attributes you mention that make you like the image.

+1 for me!!!

Cheers,

Michel