PDA

View Full Version : Motif: evening yard

Cheryl Flory
07-07-2008, 04:01 PM
This is the neighbor's back yard, yesterday afternoon. The apparent "sun light rays" are fake. It is actually smoke from his trash fire. But I thought it still looked cool and if you crop out the fire, you can pretend it is the sunlight through the trees.

F8.
1/125
ISO 500
85mm
Auto exposure

Well, it's not an exciting picture, but I would like to learn how to improve it.
Thanks!

Harold Davis
07-07-2008, 04:53 PM
i wont tell, cheryl!!! i like what you have captured here. the tree moving diagonally through the frame is a nice and strong anchor for the image. i was thinking a slight shadow/highlight adjustment to bring out some detail in the shadows would be nice. the house in the background almost gets lost. and maybe a little contrast. might desaturate just a little too.

nice job!!

Cheryl Flory
07-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks, Harold. I noticed the lack of details in the shadows, but forgot all about the shadow/highlight adjustment. I like the house being nearly hidden. To me it gives more of the impression of being in the woods, rather than in town. I did some contrast and lost even more detail in the dark areas. But I think the shadow/highlight would be a big help. thanks.

Harold Davis
07-07-2008, 05:00 PM
sorry cheryl!! i meant take some contrast away!! i reworked a little bit. opened up some shadows, brightened it up a little and desaturated the leaves!!

hope you like it! does it look too flat now?

Cheryl Flory
07-07-2008, 05:06 PM
lol. sorry, Harold. I think I like it somewhere inbetween. I really like how you can see more detail in the shadows and bg tree trunks. Your adjustments make it even look cooler, more like a morning photo. thanks!

George DeCamp
07-07-2008, 05:57 PM
I think I like it somewhere in between.!

I think I do as well! I do like this image, love the rays coming thru!

One way to get the detail in the lower trees is to load the image, brighten it so the dark trees are the way you like, then select the original image (history tab) and use the history brush to paint the light into the darker areas only. I am sure there are other ways to do the same thing. When you get used to one way you tend to stick to it.

Good eye seeing this!!!

Oscar Zangroniz
07-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Cheryl, Love your composition on this one. The light rays makes all the difference in this image. I like your original post.

Alfred Forns
07-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Cheryl you are brutal !!!! Don't think I've laugh more at a description in a long while !!! :)

I like the image a lot as presented Any change is just personal taste The smoke really makes the image and you nailed the techs !!! Big Congrats !!!!