PDA

View Full Version : red phalarope a wading

annmpacheco
10-18-2020, 07:34 PM
After looking at Kevin's Wilsons phalaropes I decided to take a look at my phalarope shots back in Iceland. This was a lifebird for me on a small pond on a small island where the birds have the only source of fresh water to bath. Gail and I were photographing dunlins, plovers, redshanks, and red-necked phalaropes when we surprisingly saw this lone red phalarope. Woohoo! I believe this is a male and not sure it is in breeding plumage or not... The light made the shallow water this color and i did not add any saturation. I increased exposure bout .25. Almost full frame...

D850
850mm

ISO 1000
f7.1
1/3200

kevin Hice
10-18-2020, 08:21 PM
Not familiar with this species. Details on the feathers look great. Maybe just a tad soft in front and on top of the eye loses some as you get out to the bill. Not much I think some sharpening in those areas would help.I'm assuming the same size as my Phalaropes you must have been able to get close. TFS

arash_hazeghi
10-19-2020, 02:49 AM
looks good, agree needs more sharpening for sure but the details are there. Did you have to edit the eye? looks a bit funny to me

TFS

gail bisson
10-19-2020, 06:11 AM
What an afternoon that was! So cool to see this guy!
Nice image- love the green and blues in the water and the water droplets created when he pulled his beak up.
IQ on the phalarope looks great.
I see what the guys are saying about sharpness but admit I would not have noticed it on my own.
Happy memories!! I am sitting here smiling as I think about that day!

Gail

David Roach
10-19-2020, 07:42 AM
A beautiful subject for sure. Would be happy just seeing this bird, let alone creating a wonderful image. Would evr so slightly brighten the eye. Love this canvas overall. TFS

Bill Dix
10-19-2020, 09:13 AM
Great find, and good shot of him. To me the eye looks as if you may have brightened the iris a tad too much. I don't know if you are using Topaz Sharpen AI, but it's worth a tweak of sharpening.

annmpacheco
10-19-2020, 01:57 PM
looks good, agree needs more sharpening for sure but the details are there. Did you have to edit the eye? looks a bit funny to me

TFS
yes i dodged but i think its too much.

annmpacheco
10-19-2020, 01:57 PM
Great find, and good shot of him. To me the eye looks as if you may have brightened the iris a tad too much. I don't know if you are using Topaz Sharpen AI, but it's worth a tweak of sharpening.

Thanks Bill, I agree, dodged too much.