PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Female Wilsons-Phalarope

kevin Hice
10-18-2020, 12:28 PM
Shot in Nd slough late June about two weeks the previous Phalarope posts and you can see the big difference in colors.Would have liked just a tad more HA.Processed with Dpp 4,Photoshop. I did desaturate the red,orange colors on the neck.Took some highlights out of the water that I found distracting.
About a fifty percent crop. I really don't have an idea how much you can crop before it effects IQ.Comments and critiques appreciated. Thanks for the previous comments.
Canon 1DX 111
500 f/4 L IS
700 mm
AV 6.3
1/3200
ISO 500

Jonathan Ashton
10-18-2020, 03:37 PM
I like the image composition and the water dripping from the bill.
I think contrast is a good deal too strong, the blacks too heavy and the brightest whites a little bright, reducing contrast and checking gradually to determine the optimal points will result in much greater detail in the plumage.

annmpacheco
10-18-2020, 07:19 PM
Hi Kevin,
I have been enjoying your Wilson's series! I agree with Jon's suggestions and look forward to a repost. Difficult to get the exposure without blowing the neck whites, etc, ... I do find the white patch in between the lifted feathers a distraction , not sure what that might be as it is the only white spot in the BG? Lovely POV, habitat and duckweed?

gail bisson
10-19-2020, 06:19 AM
This is the best processed image of the series.
I really like the duckweed on the shoulder
With regards to cropping and IQ...it all depends!
With the 1 DX3 and its measly 21.6 MP I never crop more than 50%. For my taste and IQ standards anything more seems to have an effect on the image. Even with my 5d MK IV and 30MP file size, I never go below 50%. I always see IQ suffering with greater crops.
Here on BPN , I never post anything that has a crop bigger than 60% but for FB and IG I can get away with 50% crops.
These observations are purely "observational" and not scientific!
If you want, I would be happy to process your RAW image-just send it via large hosting website to dr(dot)gailbissonathotmail(dot)com.
Gail

David Roach
10-19-2020, 07:44 AM
Love the light, pose and POV. TFS

ps
Super water action...

kevin Hice
10-20-2020, 03:28 PM
Thanks very much for the comments Gail especially on the crop size. I did send you the raw file.

gail bisson
10-20-2020, 07:09 PM
Thanks very much for the comments Gail especially on the crop size. I did send you the raw file.
Hi Kevin,
The RAW file is gorgeous. I have sent you my PP version of the TIFF. and this image needed minimal processing.IQ should look good at your crop size.
Gail