PDA

View Full Version : Great spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopus major) & House sparrow dispute

Jonathan Ashton
10-18-2020, 06:33 AM
Image captured in my back garden earlier this year.
Olympus OMD E M1X
24- 120mm @ 240mm 35mm equivalent
ISO 640 -0.3
1/2500 sec f4.5

TDN/ACR/TDN/PSCC

David Roach
10-18-2020, 07:10 AM
Fantastic drama and storytelling canvas. Perfect DOF and SS for the scene. TFS

kevin Hice
10-18-2020, 12:45 PM
Boy the details and sharpness right on especially the woodpecker. I just wish the flying bird had some separation. TFS

annmpacheco
10-18-2020, 07:20 PM
POV, Jon! dynamic frame , what is atop the woodpeckers head?

John Mack
10-18-2020, 07:54 PM
This is my favorite setting you post with the set ups. The water really makes this one. Nice pose on the woodpecker. Not sure the jumping sparrow adds much.

arash_hazeghi
10-19-2020, 02:37 AM
Nice interaction and good to get three on the same plane but the one flying away from us spoils it for me, maybe you can clone it out... would make us focus more on the interaction. I find the colors a bit dull and overall a bit dark perhaps a gloomy day.... wish the woodpecker was a bit crisper

TFS

Steve Kaluski
10-19-2020, 05:08 AM
Hi Jon, nice to see the 'infinity' is delivering, was this from the previous postings?

I agree with Arash, the image does look a bit flat and a fraction dark, albeit on the MBP, so I can only assume. Like the 'woody' landing, inclusive of some crown debris. You had the ISO so going faster would IMHO help in freezing more of the action. I do like the choice of the POV, but for me I would darken the FG and clone just a few of the HL's ie on the grass & bottom right. Does the blade of grass detract, 50/50, but I think you may have done some gardening already and perhaps clipped a claw, not that the RPS would notice? :bg3: Just tickled in some colour behind the sparrow to loose the white HL.

Couldn't resist a fiddle, means I don't have to haul all the fencing stuff... WDYT, hope it's brighter with you, cracking sunrise this morning, now dull!!!

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
10-19-2020, 09:48 AM
Steve yes certainly looks a good deal better, on reflection my original was a little flat, this image was captured earlier this year, I have processed using a different algorithm. No cloning patching or content aware etc done. As a consequence of your post I will look again - thanks!!