PDA

View Full Version : Image Resize & JPEG Save Options

Joerg Rockenberger
07-07-2008, 03:05 PM
I have another question regarding preparing images for web display.

In Image Resize, what do you choose for Resample Image?
Nearest Neighbor
Bilinear
Bicubic
Bicubic Smoother
Bicubic Sharper

And in the JPEG Options, do you use?
Baseline
Baseline Optimized
Progressive (if yes, what do you choose for scans?)

Thanks in advance! JR

Axel Hildebrandt
07-07-2008, 03:18 PM
I use bicubic and baseline ("standard").

William Malacarne
07-07-2008, 06:10 PM
What I have found on the Image Resize. Nearest Neighbor and Bilinear are not really usable for Photo work. Bicubic Smoother is used wheb you are enlargening your photo and Bicubic Sharper is used when making it smaller. Now what I have read and tried is that when makeing a photo smaller is to try the Bicubic Sharper and if it does not look correct then to do an undo on it and use Bicubic. I had tried this many times and it was either not good or could not tell any difference. So now I just use Bicubic.

I use Baseline Optimized as it it supposed to be good with all the newer web browsers, whereas the Baseline was made for the older browsers. The Progressive is usually used when you are showing large files and it will load a low resolution image and then you will see it load higher over it. It is usually used when people have slow connections and it will give them something to look at before the whole image is loaded.

Bill

Joerg Rockenberger
07-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks for your comments. I actually didn't know the purpose of the JPG Progressive Option... JR

Robert Amoruso
07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Progressive allows a web posted JPG image to load faster by loading successively or say progressively higher resolutions up to the one it was saved at. Generally avoid this unless you are designing for a website or have concerns for slow connection users.

For saving a JPG for posting, don't resample the image. Use Image size to set it to 72 ppi or 96 ppi. THen use Automate > Fit Image to set the width and height (for BPN 800 ppi on the long side).

William is right on with the resampling for printing, there you will upsize or downsize with resampling.

John Chardine
07-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Interesting Robert. When you Automate > Fit Image it Ps doing something else other than resampling?