PDA

View Full Version : Red deer hind

Jonathan Ashton
10-12-2020, 10:30 AM
I managed a couple of hours in some parkland about an hour from home. This hind was in a small group being jealously guarded by a stag (I will post him later).
The log was too heavy to move!!

Hand held
Olympus E-M1X
Lens focal length : 210 mm
Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 421.0mm
Metering mode : Pattern
ISO Sensitivity : 1600
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
Exposure time : 1/400 sec
F number : F4.5
Exposure compensation : -1.7 EV
Flash : OFF

ACR/PSCC

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2020, 11:47 AM
Hi Jon, glad you managed to get out, rain here, but now the last push in getting stuff back, so glad I can't get out!

I like the warm light, but not the excessive blacks!!!! I feel stepping to your left may have avoided that trunk in the FG, not loving that, sorry. Grass in the BKG appears a bit blue, do you think the dapple light on the trunk is distracting?

My take would be to open it up and go warmer and more magenta as a starting point?

Looking forward to the Monarch of the Glen. :w3

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
10-12-2020, 12:01 PM
Thanks Steve, I have warmed and reduced blues, I have done a lighter brighter version but prefer this as is. The log just in the way simple as that I went from differing angles and heights but had to be careful not to spook her.

Steve Kaluski
10-12-2020, 12:04 PM
OK, but try not to print it as is. :w3

Gabriela Plesea
10-12-2020, 01:46 PM
Dear Jon,

What I like here most is the dappled light on this female deer and those massive trees in the BG. Subject is well positioned within the frame. I am not so sure how I feel about the log. Would love to see a lighter, less contrasty version of this frame, as well as some images of the handsome stag you mentioned in your intro:w3

Warmest regards,

John Mack
10-12-2020, 01:54 PM
The light is quite nice on this one. I would like to see the darker areas in the background even darker. Framing is nice. I like the look of the coat on the deer.

Andreas Liedmann
10-12-2020, 02:13 PM
Hi Jon ... I like the spotlight on the hind and the overall scene .
Quite difficult to get this done pleasing to the eye .
Not sure about the very dominant blacks ... image does look better in PS than here in the safari browser .

TFS Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
10-13-2020, 04:25 AM
Thanks everyone, I was expecting reservations over the blacks, the scene was probably even more contrasting than shown. I left the blacks heavy purposefully, blacks are black - there's not much of interest in decaying leaves and twigs. I have a similar one that I will post later - a little warmer.... maybe I'll lift it some too - just to make some happy, at least I have got John on my side!:bg3:
I am really cheesed off now, I was planning to return to the park on Wednesday/Thursday but I cannot due to Covid-19 my part of the country is classed as risk category 3 so no movement/travel other than for essential purposes. I suppose one saving grace is I live by the sea and there are some high tides coming this weekend.

Andreas Liedmann
10-13-2020, 04:31 AM
Hi Jon ... for me there is one issue with those blacks , they do look like very solid patches ..... I might try to create softer transitions inside those very dark areas. Just a thought

haseeb badar
10-13-2020, 05:43 AM
Hi Jon -- Nice too see something different from you when it comes to lighting conditions.

This is always a tricky game, lights and shadows. You did well in getting the subject in the spotlight.

Overall, i feel you could pull back on the blacks , they appear heavy patches , especially those big tree trunks.

One more thing that bothers me is the oof branch in the FG, for me it is killing the image.

A nice effort nonetheless, TFS !