PDA

View Full Version : Sunset in the Sierra Nevada

Dan Brown
07-07-2008, 11:18 AM
This sunset is a photomerge using 4 vertical images. The current fires in Northern California helped with the color. Captured with a tripod mounted Nikon D200, 24-120mm nikor at 24mm, 1/160sec, f3.5, ISO 400, manual exp mode and focus, auto WB, metered the neutral toned pinkish orange areas using the in camera spot metering mode, 0 exp comp. PP and cropped with CS3. Merged using CS3's photomerge automation. I wish that I could fill the screen space here, Oh well:)

Dan Brown.

carole wiley
07-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Striking color. I love the tree tops. I like the way the dark blue of the top follows the same line as the dark of the bottom. I don't know if that makes sence to you....I like it.

Robert Amoruso
07-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Dan,

Nice work with the stitch. I would have liked to not seen the top of the FG left tree cropped. I am guessing that it might have been a causality of the stitching operation due to distortion. I will always frame wider to account for this happening.

I know what Carole is talking about and agree, the colors do mimic the shape of the tree line. Nicely seen Carole!

Well done composition combines with the great colors for a good looking pano. Thanks for posting.

Dan Brown
07-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the nice comments! Robert, the clipped tree was actually a casualty of the horde of mosquitos that attacked right at sunset! I guess I was so distracted that I wasn't careful! Yes, Mosquitos in the High Sierra! Dan Brown

David Kennedy
07-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Dan,
I agree with the comments made already. I would be inclined to crop the image from the top so that the clipped tree looks more like an intentional cut (Artie's mantra is "Cut: don't clip!") but in the future, it's would behoove you to frame wider than you need. I try to make a couple of extra frames to the left and right, and also zoom a little wider than I think I'll need whenever making images for a panorama. Of course, in this situation, that would have meant a different lens, or, alternatively, making a grid panorama with two rows of images.

Arthur Morris
07-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Add another vote for less mosquitoes and the whole big tree.

Dan Brown
07-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Wow ! Art, you are a hard worker! I posted this 8 days ago! Thanks for looking. By the way, I looked back at the images from that shoot and the big tree actually had about 10 or so more feet up above this upper frame edge! Maybe I can add canvas and make a tree top? Dan Brown

Dan Brown
07-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the good comments all. Here's an attempt to "unclip" the big tree. I added canvas and reconstructed the tree top. Dan Brown

Arthur Morris
07-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Pretty good job but it does reduce the panoramic impact somewhat...

Arthur Morris
07-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Wow ! Art, you are a hard worker! I posted this 8 days ago! Thanks for looking. Dan Brown

YAW Dan. When I am home, I try to spend a ton of time at the site. At times I am not sure why; must be my absolute love for teaching and sharing (and to some degree, showing off).:)