PDA

View Full Version : White-tail buck

John Mack
10-05-2020, 04:48 PM
This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 9/20/20 at 6:21PM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS II USM
ISO 3200
f5.6
1/320sec

Steve Kaluski
10-06-2020, 01:07 AM
Hi John, a nice portrait, but the colours are off. Moving a little more to your left I think you could have avoided the tree in the BKG running through the rack, plus some of the brighter, warmer oranges too. Personally I might move the whole crop down, so you have a tad more below and less above. The image does require some NR and the heavy yellow cast is masking some lovely colours, it's also concealing a lot of the original sharpness too. Is the grass really that colour????

John I can only try and achieve a better WB based on your posting so it may incorporate some of the original changes you have made, revisiting the Raw is far better.

TFS
Steve

Jerry Taylor
10-06-2020, 08:31 AM
Great pose and detail. I would agree with Steve that the first thing I noticed was a bit of a yellow/green cast. His warmer version seems to work better for me.

Gabriela Plesea
10-06-2020, 01:50 PM
Another lovely and innocent looking White-tail Buck, thank you John:S3: Whatever technique you use in the field certainly works, because it's pretty sharp for such low SS :w3

Colour casts are quite obvious though, so I too think you need to go back to LR. Tweaking WB not always easy, staring at the computer screen and moving the eye dropper tool all over the place looking for a grey area can be daunting and tiring. If that happens try taking a break from the computer to 'reset' your eyes, then start again.

Pose is great and I quite like the setting, I would perhaps try reduce the brightness on the grass stalks and slightly soften the orange bits in the BG.

Here is my take re. WB.

Kind regards,

haseeb badar
10-08-2020, 04:07 AM
I agree John with the above comments , colours are a bit off and the above RP's have definitely improved things. Nice simple pose and good separation from BKG , details are quite good.

TFS !

Jonathan Ashton
10-10-2020, 09:42 AM
John as soon as I looked I though not quite the same as your previous where the colours were super. I frequently get the colours wrong myself, someone once said to me sit on the eimage another 24hr and review it - sometimes the colours look different second time around. I found it good advice though I have to admit I still sometimes get it wrong!!

Gabriela Plesea
10-11-2020, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=Jonathan Ashton;1245756]

"someone once said to me sit on the image another 24hrs and review it - sometimes the colours look different second time around"

You are 100% right, Jon:w3

Steve Kaluski
10-11-2020, 02:16 PM
Sounds like some old and wise wisdom to me? :bg3: