PDA

View Full Version : Goldfinch

Jerry Taylor
10-03-2020, 08:30 AM
This guy presented a natural high key background, as he landed on this perch with the mid day fog on the Oregon Coast as a background.
Canon R5, 600II with 1.4XIII Extender, f5.6, 1/1000, ISO 1600
Processed in LR and Topaz DeNoise AI

Krishna Prasad kotti
10-03-2020, 05:03 PM
Sharpness and Fine Feather detail is good.

I would dodge the Black feathers in chest and in the legs etc. I would burn the yellow feathers near the eye...

David Roach
10-04-2020, 04:25 AM
Very nice framing and details. The entire image could go a tad brighter along with slight desat on yellows. A beautiful canvas overall. TFS

ps
How'd you find this glass behaves with the R5?

Daniel Cadieux
10-04-2020, 05:50 AM
Beautiful bird on a good perch, although I must say that the plumage is looking a little rough from molting. Sharp details, good high-key presentation. The blacks, however, are quite dark and almost blocked in parts. Going back to the raw file and tweaking the shadows would very well be worth it IMO.

Jerry Taylor
10-04-2020, 08:36 AM
All of my lens seem to work seamlessly with the new camera. Just got the 100-500 RF, and frankly I can't tell any operational difference.

David Roach
10-04-2020, 11:15 AM
All of my lens seem to work seamlessly with the new camera. Just got the 100-500 RF, and frankly I can't tell any operational difference.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to more...

Dorian Anderson
10-05-2020, 09:29 AM
Excellent engaging look from this guy. Perch is interesting and the bird sharp. Unfortunate he's beat up with molt, but that's life. I agree abut trying to get more detail from the blacks, and I think the bird/perch should be moved towards the center of the frame. You certainly want him looking into space, but this seems like too much for me.

I am so interested to hear how the 600v2, 1.4XIII, adaptor, and R5 AF performs on flying birds, specifically small fast ones (i.e. NOT herons or eagles). I have same set-up and am considering adding R5 to my DX2.

Steve Kaluski
10-05-2020, 11:11 AM
Hi Jerry, there is truck loads of detail you have captured and it's lovely image, hopefully the discussion had in wildlife may help. Sadly there is a limit to what one can achieve from the sRGB, 256 colour file, but with the Raw you have a 'Gold mine' of detail and clarity. No additional sharpening applied, just masked with the excessive colour.

Jerry, revisit the Raw, it will be worth it, love the white backdrop!

TFS
Steve

John Mack
10-05-2020, 05:10 PM
Works very well high key. The look back pose is nice.