PDA

View Full Version : Great Egret

Dorian Anderson
09-27-2020, 09:04 PM
I always enjoy trying to paint with the camera, so I was happy with this small-in-frame result from last weekend.

I shot this bird to the west as forest fire smoke obscured/filtered the sun to my east. Made for an interesting color palette.

Some will surely suggest moving the bird down. I will resist that because I always want the bird looking into the widest portion of the frame, down-and-left in this instance.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS 1DX2
1/2500 at f/5.6, ISO 800

David Seymour
09-28-2020, 06:24 AM
Hi Dorian, I really love this type of image, what I refer to as the ‘infinity pool’ shot. I agree with your assessment of the positioning and framing, and personally I wouldn’t change it. The smoke filtering has certainly helped create a palette which has lifted the image. I also like the multiple bands of colour in the BG which have added to the impact.
Cheers, David

gail bisson
09-28-2020, 06:55 AM
A very pretty frame.
Love the layers of color and the reflection.
Approve 100% of your placement of the egret. Whites look good!
Very nice indeed!
Gail

Brian Sump
09-28-2020, 09:10 AM
Dorian, this is a sweet frame.

Thank you for sharing your crop thought process. The horizontal symmetry is pleasing to my eye, whilst the bkg striations help separate the upper from the lower (beautiful btw).

Exposure looks nailed. Also love the sort of dreamy feel in the reflection.

Wonderful work!

Joseph Przybyla
09-28-2020, 10:37 AM
Quite nice, just about a perfect reflection. Interesting background with lovely color palette. Thank you for sharing, Dorian.

Daniel Cadieux
09-28-2020, 11:32 AM
Very clean and appealing image. Bird placement is carefully and pleasingly thought out. If mine I'd likely remove the black speck on the bill (and reflection), but that is simply personal preference. Super nice, Dorian!

Dorian Anderson
09-28-2020, 09:11 PM
Very clean and appealing image. Bird placement is carefully and pleasingly thought out. If mine I'd likely remove the black speck on the bill (and reflection), but that is simply personal preference. Super nice, Dorian!

Good suggestion - I only just noticed that spot when I came back here to view the comments!

dankearl
09-28-2020, 09:24 PM
Nice artsy photo!
Crop 5x7 for greeting card, not sarcastic....
except I would flip it.

Paul Burdett
09-29-2020, 01:16 AM
Very very nice Dorian. Love the colours, reflection and placement of the Egret. Been reading about breaking the rules, and in this case the symmetry between BG and FG...which works so well here. TFS

John Mack
09-30-2020, 02:32 PM
Very nice. The muted reflection is great. Framing is right on. I like the pose as well.