PDA

View Full Version : Nankeen kestrel

Ian McLachlan
09-25-2020, 11:48 PM
This youngster is learning to hover in a back lit evening which I find very difficult and often underexposed
In any case I like the colours common from her back lit back! and the fact that the Red Gum tree gives
some relevance in the shot. Nankeen cloth was a pale yellowish cotton originally made in China in Nanjing which gave the name to a number of birds near this colour in Aust.

D5
500f4
AT700MM
1/3200
hh.

ISO F11 not sure why

Arthur Morris
09-26-2020, 05:10 AM
Love the pose and the high key look. And the incision of the leaves as well. The feathers of the belly and the secondary underwing coverts (if my terminology is correct, look overly smoothed as if from too much noise reduction.

with love, a

David Roach
09-26-2020, 07:25 AM
Love the light through the feathers, the details and the framing. TFS

John Mack
09-26-2020, 08:20 AM
Looks great in high key. I would loose the leaves. But it's up to you what to do.

Brian Sump
09-26-2020, 11:22 PM
Ian, first time I have heard of such a bird. Love the American Kestrel and I would probably fall in love with this variety too.

There's a real dreamy feel from the over-exposed sky (high key) make up that is really quite nice. Additionally, John's point is valid from a traditional sense but I actually like the flora in UL corner, esp as the bird is eyeing it almost as if a landing spot. It's a facet I've been working to integrate in my frames just for creative expression.

Did you have to lift the exposure much in post? Was the original underside grainy? Based on Arties comments, it seems like maybe the camera struggled to maintain detail. Who knows, just an observation.

Good to see you here and posting.