PDA

View Full Version : Buff-breasted Sandpiper in first light

Ivan Sjogren
09-23-2020, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone,

Some of you might remember that I lost my trusty camera earlier this summer but now I'm back! This is a newly produced frame with my new camera. Unfortunately the new stuff is nothing fancy but a second-hand Canon 7D Mark ll. It is what I can afford at the moment. Either way, I was very happy I got this camera when I did because right away this opportunity with a Buff-breasted Sandpiper came along. This is a rare bird in Sweden, we have 3-4 records each year, and this one was a short drive from where I live. I took the car and drove the few hours during the night to get there before sunrise. I then stepped out of my car, put on the wetsuit and the game was on! Luckily, I found the bird directly and got some nice frames as the sun rose behind me. I loved this location as the open wetland had grass and marshes that closely replicated the breeding habitat of the Buff-breasted Sandpiper on the tundra. You can almost imagine this being taken in Alaska in the midnight sun.

All comments welcome!

Canon EOS 7d Mark ll | Canon 500mm f/4.0L IS USM II | ISO 800 | 1/800s | f/5.6

John Mack
09-23-2020, 06:57 PM
Oh, sweet light here. Raised foot is a bonus as well. Love that background color.

Mike Poole
09-23-2020, 07:14 PM
Sweet is the perfect word to describe this shot, pretty much perfect IMHO

Mike

David Roach
09-23-2020, 10:35 PM
Ivan, my friend, it is good to have you back and I'm sure no matter the rig you always bring the magic. Really sweet light, pose and colors. TFS

gail bisson
09-24-2020, 03:06 AM
Welcome back Ivan. So sorry to hear of your gear trouble.
This is gorgeous! Great POV, lovely light and a great view of the foot.
No nits from me!
Gail

Jonathan Ashton
09-24-2020, 04:14 AM
Absolutely super, couldn't ask for more, super colours and detail.

Steve Kaluski
09-24-2020, 06:30 AM
Gorgeous Ivan, the raised leg is just great, PP spot on and with the 7D well done.

TFS
Steve

Brian Sump
09-24-2020, 12:19 PM
Congrats Ivan. Beautiful warm light, right stride pose, angle and dof. Lots of clarity in the details.

TFS

Bill Dix
09-24-2020, 02:54 PM
A simply beautiful frame. Great light, colors, pose, POV. No nits.

Dorian Anderson
09-25-2020, 09:30 AM
This is outstanding. The golden light is wonderful, and the head angle and foot are perfect. This is one of the few North American shorebirds I haven't photographed, so I'm envious of this one!

Krishna Prasad kotti
10-02-2020, 10:15 PM
Sweet light, Raised foot, head turn...
Nicely done.

TFS