View Full Version : Dew Drops and Buff-breasted Sandpiper

gail bisson
09-23-2020, 11:57 AM
Taken on Cape Sable Island, Nova Scotia
September 2020
Canon 1 Dx 3, 600mm and 1.4x
ISO 2500 SS 1/1250 f 5.6
Cropped to pano.
Will be interested to hear what you guys think. No feet or tail...Image Killer?
PP- Had to reduce yellows and magentas a fair bit and fiddled with WB. In the end, reduced the WB slightly.
Taken at sunrise.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks.
Gail

Arthur Morris
09-23-2020, 12:29 PM
Quite artistic. Love the image design, the soft light, and the head turn. I love most of the dew drops except for those in front of the bird :) And the tallest grass. ear the right frame-edge bugs me. That plus the obscured tail. Overall quite a pleasing image.

with love, a

Dorian Anderson
09-23-2020, 03:13 PM
Love the soft light and pastel colors! Yes, it would be nice to see the tail, but I think the completely natural setting and dew carry the image. I'm loving the wide crop on a board where people are quick to crush the subject into the frame.

Ivan Sjogren
09-23-2020, 04:20 PM
Another Buff-breasted! This one is way more artistic than what I just posted. I regret that I didn't go for some wider shots as well.
The composition and the pano crop works beautifully here. The light and the faded colors are spot on and it hits the birds eye very nicely with that headturn.
The dew drops are a unique addition and I think you did the right thing going for this very low shooting angle. I don't mind that the feet are missing. I would like to see more of the tail, especially as there are some smudge where the tail ends that draws attention. But it is not an image killer. Congrats on a cool frame!

John Mack
09-23-2020, 06:54 PM
The dew drops make this one for me. I'm a sucker for the dew though. You can see enough of the bird, so i don't think the tail/feet missing matter any. Framing is very nice.

Mike Poole
09-23-2020, 07:18 PM
Well seen and framed Gail, I love environmental shots, and this really benefits from the jewel like dew drops. Just lovely

Mike

David Roach
09-23-2020, 10:42 PM
I love every square mm of this canvas, period. TFS

Geoffrey Montagu
09-24-2020, 10:34 AM
What a beautiful capture, Gail. Outstanding early morning light, and striking pose. Love the dew drops, low point of view, and your choice of crop. Don't mind not seeing feet or end of tail.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Brian Sump
09-24-2020, 12:08 PM
Gail, love this bird-environment frame. Great light, great pose and composition works well.

Bill Dix
09-24-2020, 02:52 PM
Granted I would love to see the feet and tail. But the pano crop featuring the dew drops in soft morning light save the day. A beautiful frame.