PDA

View Full Version : Monk Parakeet

Stephen Stephen
07-07-2008, 06:28 AM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Birds2/08_01_MonkParakeet.jpg

Created in Parc de la Ciutadella - Barcelona, Spain on June 25. I was in the city for the first time for 4 days of meetings and had little time for photography. :(

Monk Parakeets have gone feral in Barcelona after escaping from the Zoo and bird owners in the city. Their nest building skills (one of the only parrot species that build their own nests) have let them thrive.

After reading a bit on these birds and exchanging e-mails with BPN's Juan Aragonés I decided to try and find some for myself. I was only in the park about 10 minutes before I came across my first parakeet. Most often they were high in the trees but occasionally they came to ground to feed. This one is looking for something along one of the park's gravel paths. It's not the best pose but I was happy to add this species to my collection.

Canon Rebel XT, Sigma 70-200mm + 2 x teleconveter @ 293mm. ISO 400, F 7.1 1/2000sec. Cropped to ~ 90% of full frame. Cloned out one black of straw that was stuck under the wing.

Anita Rakestraw
07-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi, Stephen. Don't see anything wrong with this m. parakeet image; unfortunately, we can't always get them in dazzling light or settings, can we? These little guys have also escaped owners in the US and formed very successful feral colonies, to the extent that it is (or at least used to be) illegal to carry them across state lines, even as pets. Only thing I might suggest for this is to increase brightness/contrast a bit; but see what others say, as I think my monitor renders things slightly dark.

Maxis Gamez
07-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi Stephen,

Simple but works for me. You did well with the low angle and head turn.

Sharna Lee
07-07-2008, 08:27 PM
great head angle. I love the colors here. Very sharply focused.
Nice job.

Sharna

Stephen Stephen
07-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Thank you Anita, Maxis and Sharna. Anita I've just recently re-calibrated my monitor and the brightness/contrast matches what I remember that bright morning.

Maxis Gamez
07-07-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm Glad Stephen. Keep them coming!

Anita Rakestraw
07-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Good to know that, Stephen, looks like I need to calibrate mine or get a new one! :)

Lana Hays
07-08-2008, 05:17 AM
Stephen
I think that you did well. It's hard to photograph a b bird on the ground and you have to do the best you can with what is presented. Nice colors. I really like the eye contact as well.

Alfred Forns
07-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi Stephen

We have lots of them locally but they are so hard to photograph !!! Can heart then but that is about it !!! I think my only image is a flight and not in focus !!!

.... I like the pose and eye contact !! Sure is keeping an eye on you !!!