PDA

View Full Version : Red Knot-wings up!

gail bisson
09-17-2020, 11:37 AM
Took this at South Bar which is about 5 miles from my home. It was a spot I had never visited until COVID forced me to look closer to home. It has been a real haven for shorebirds.
Canon 1 DX 3 600mm and 1.4 x
ISO 800 F 6.3 SS 1/2000
Crop to 70% FF. Nothing added or cloned.
Processed In LR and PS CC- reduced highlights in tali area.levels, curves, NR with Topaz to RAW and USM to JPEG
Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
Gail
PS I should have cloned out the extra catchlight in eye.

Jonathan Ashton
09-17-2020, 11:44 AM
It's a lovely image Gail, colours exposure etc spot on.

You indicate Topaz NR to the jpeg this is a real no no in my book! I would suggest always to the raw file that has had nothing done other than colour temp/balance and exposure - blacks, whites, (NO sharpening or NR in LR) then apply Topaz then go back to LR to make any tweaks for colours clarity filters etc then onwards to PSCC. The reason for this being that you have done nothing to the raw file to increase noise before you try to remove it.

Hi Jon,
I did not use Denoise on the JPEG. Used it on the RAW. Sorry my text caused confusion. I will fix it!

gail bisson
09-17-2020, 11:51 AM
Hi Jon,
I did not use Denoise on the JPEG. Used it on the RAW. Sorry my text caused confusion. I will fix it!
Gail
PS Ooops I posted my answer on directly on your post. Sorry again!

annmpacheco
09-17-2020, 05:42 PM
Hi Gail, love the shot, especially the patterns on the undersize wing. Lovely water, POV, and HA. Lovely image.

David Roach
09-17-2020, 07:30 PM
Love the low intimate POV with usual creamy BG. Only very minor nit is loss of detail in tail area. TFS

ps
Not sure why, but I love the darker base and ceiling.

Brian Sump
09-17-2020, 10:34 PM
Gail, light, pose, pov all give me the feels. This is a super frame and composed beautifully.

I think the whites on the body appear a touch strong in a couple areas because of the reflection. Just curious if you were able to work any more detail out of those ares. I wouldn't complain about it a bit, though if it were in my files :-)

Overall I love this frame and didn't even notice the second catchlight until you mentioned it.

Steve Kaluski
09-18-2020, 06:28 AM
Hi Gail, this is a super image, love the colour palette, composition and the low POV is bang on point to me. Loosing the two white vertical streaks would help, but you have far greater detail in the wing plumage, really exquisite even at this low res with 256 colours you can get a lot more detail, so perhaps if you have time it might be worth a revisit to really maximise on what you captured?

Again, just curious, but why NR on ISO800, unless under exposed, last week I was shooting at ISO2000 and no NR applied, the MKIII is awesome, so is there any real need?

Well done again. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

gail bisson
09-18-2020, 09:31 AM
Hi Steve,
Wow! You certainly did get lots more detail out of the plumage. I can certainly fix my OP.I am always leery of pushing DE and other such things too far but I should have in this case.
I did not underexpose the image. I like to do a teeny tiny bit of NR just to smooth out the BG a bit. I just like the look but I could have easily gotten away with not doing any NR. Just a personal taste thing,
Thanks for the repost,
Gail

QUOTE=Steve Kaluski;1244628]Hi Gail, this is a super image, love the colour palette, composition and the low POV is bang on point to me. Loosing the two white vertical streaks would help, but you have far greater detail in the wing plumage, really exquisite even at this low res with 256 colours you can get a lot more detail, so perhaps if you have time it might be worth a revisit to really maximise on what you captured?

Again, just curious, but why NR on ISO800, unless under exposed, last week I was shooting at ISO2000 and no NR applied, the MKIII is awesome, so is there any real need?

Well done again. :cheers:

TFS
Steve[/QUOTE]

Steve Kaluski
09-18-2020, 11:06 AM
I am always leery of pushing DE and other such things too far but I should have in this case.

Hi Gail, glad you like it. I never use DE, personally I find it 'pants' compared to using PS, it's just such an awesome tool that folk really need to grasp because it does so much, but each to their own. Again NR, your call, but at ISO 800 are you really seeing any grain, I bet if you/I printed it out at 20x30 it will be super smooth.

Cheers
Steve

gail bisson
09-18-2020, 11:43 AM
What do you mean by PS? I thought you meant Photoshop but you are talking about something else.
Also, had a good laugh at your response to my "what is the red?" in your previous post!
Gail

Hi Gail, glad you like it. I never use DE, personally I find it 'pants' compared to using PS, it's just such an awesome tool that folk really need to grasp because it does so much, but each to their own. Again NR, your call, but at ISO 800 are you really seeing any grain, I bet if you/I printed it out at 20x30 it will be super smooth.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Kaluski
09-18-2020, 11:49 AM
PS is just the abbreviation of Photoshop. :S3:

Glad you liked the reply and took it in the spirit, good to have a chuckle every now and then, life can be too serious at times. :w3

John Mack
09-18-2020, 03:19 PM
Love the pose. Nice low angle. Light is nice as well.

Jay Ing
09-19-2020, 03:08 PM
Like others - what's not to love about this pose with that wing extension. Like the pooled water on the feet as well.... nice low angle too. As always - very lovely.

arash_hazeghi
09-19-2020, 04:43 PM
love the raised wings, low angle BG and light. I'd prefer it a bit warmer

TFS