PDA

View Full Version : Ischnura elegans violet form / damselfly

Horacio Scotti
07-07-2008, 03:41 AM
First damselfly this year... I like colors and composition, may be the image lacks a little bit of definition...
Thanks for C&C.

Canon 30D - Tamron 180 - F13 - 1/40 - iso 400 - tripod

John Cooper
07-07-2008, 04:28 AM
An attractive damselfly Horacio, identical looking to one we have down-under.
although I quite liked the multiple leaves in your composition I felt cropping the image and adding some USM would strengthen the image. Hope you don't mind - what do you think?

Horacio Scotti
07-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Thank you John; your composition is better. I usually don't crop the images as an ethical choice, but I will try to make this on the field the next time.

These damselflies are really beautiful... and very shy. Less agressives than dragonflies, is very hard to be closer. I think my old 300 mm + kenko tubes may be better than the 180 mm to damselflies and dragonflies...

Julie Kenward
07-07-2008, 08:27 AM
John, that's exactly the crop I was going to recommend. It really brings the focus to the insect instead of the plant. Horacio, make sure you try to get the eye tack sharp if at all possible. That's what pulls the viewer's eye in to make contact with the image.

They are hard to capture but so worth it when you get one right! Keep at it - you're so close!

Gus Cobos
07-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi Horacio,
I like your composition very much; it can go both ways. I worked on your image also see if you like it. I did a little bit of cropping from the top, bottom and on the left side of your frame. Also cloned out the leaf on the left leaving the single leaf coming vertical from one side and not from the intersection of the frame. Increased contrast a tad, and sprinkled some sharpening on your blue lady...:D:cool:

John Cooper
07-08-2008, 03:41 AM
Hi Horacio,
I like your composition very much; it can go both ways. I worked on your image also see if you like it. I did a little bit of cropping from the top, bottom and on the left side of your frame. Also cloned out the leaf on the left leaving the single leaf coming vertical from one side and not from the intersection of the frame. Increased contrast a tad, and sprinkled some sharpening on your blue lady...:D:cool:

Hi Gus - I like your treatment better - looks great and the leaf placement is much better placed away from the corner.

Mike Moats
07-08-2008, 05:41 AM
Hey Horacio, a very nice image amd the repost by John and Gus really help the comp.

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi Horacio,
I remember that you don't like cloning etc..........but cropping should be ok.......as we used to do it with different slide mounts. I do like Gus's crop.......but since he cloned something out....and i know you are not comfortable with that.......I will add.......you did a very nice job with the original! You were very careful not to cut the leaves and left a bit of space. Your BG is very nice also. I have noticed you are working very hard at this and want to congratulate you for your efforts.

Horacio Scotti
07-09-2008, 05:22 AM
Thank you all for your time and for critics, comments and suggestions. I like to share my photos on BPN Forums because is a good way to learn, improve and see differents points of view about composition, post production, etc... and not just "wow!" "amazing!" "beautiful!" etc. thank you.

I'm not a fanatic about no-cropping / no- cloning, but since nature photo is just my hobby, I try to play as "fair" as I can trying to reach a "perfect" picture in the field. This is my personal challenge. :)

(I say "fair" but I'm not saying " - if yo crop, your are not fair"... sorry my poor english) :(