PDA

View Full Version : Grebe at sunset

Paul Burdett
09-12-2020, 04:34 AM
Another Australasian Grebe taken at sunset today. I took a number of shots and really like two of them...here's one. I feel that it's one of those shots that may not appeal to some, but I really like the dramatic colours. Removed a few distractions but the colours are as I saw them.

D500/500PF, 1/1000th sec, f5.6, iso1250, manual mode, HH. Cheers.

David Roach
09-12-2020, 04:55 AM
Wow,Wow,Wow, Paul, A slight CCW rotation and I am out of nits. What a sublime canvas, my friend. One more Wow and I'm out... TFS

gail bisson
09-12-2020, 06:22 AM
I often shoot at a location that has this type of water pattern and I prefer the images that show the duck solidly in one uniform color.
When I see this image, I can't help but think how gorgeous this grebe would look if solidly surrounded by the gold color.
I see some masking artifacts along the top of the head and below the chin.
The blacks could use a bit of punch via levels.
I sure hope you have an image with this beautiful grebe in the gold part of the water!
Gail

Paul Burdett
09-12-2020, 06:31 AM
Hi David: Thank you so much for the kind feedback...it's very much appreciated as always.
Gail: I appreciate the feedback/suggestions. However, it's the two colours around the Grebe that I really like. I feel the blue section contrasts well with the Grebe as well.
However, different strokes for different folks I guess. You have a keen eye! I did remove a distracting element on the head, but not below the head.

Paul Burdett
09-12-2020, 06:37 AM
Here's the other take on the Grebe photographed today.
Gail: sorry I don't have one with the Grebe totally in the gold water, but thinking further about it, I agree that it would look good as you say. May go back tomorrow! Cheers.

Brian Sump
09-12-2020, 03:34 PM
Paul, a really artistic frame IMO. Part of me is a bit distracted by the blue and gold transition but part of me loves it as the Grebe is positioned well within the transitions.

Other than the blurring and clone remnants mentioned by Gail, I also feel like you might have been able to push sharpening a bit more here.

The second shot is sweet too, maybe just reduce the highlights a bit. Beautiful coloration on both and I really like this species - a first for me.

Paul Burdett
09-12-2020, 06:19 PM
Hi Brian. I appreciate your feedback/suggestions. Interesting that you suggest more sharpening on the first one...it looks sharp to me, but is there a specific area you are referring to? Thanks again.

Brian Sump
09-12-2020, 06:55 PM
Eye, bill and neck feathers specifically. Back looks ok to me.

Did you have to crop a good bit? Play around with it and see what you think. I bet the full res file looks a better, they always do.

Paul Burdett
09-13-2020, 02:43 AM
Thanks Brian. I'll try your suggestions. Cheers.

John Mack
09-13-2020, 06:14 AM
Really digging that repost with the grebe in the gold/blue water. It looks great. Nice light and detail on the bird as well.

Arthur Morris
09-13-2020, 10:13 AM
I like the original post best. I am fine with the two tones and the placement of the subject in the original post. In a perfect world, you would have been one years (or one meter) to you right. How would this have made the image better?

with love, a

Paul Burdett
09-13-2020, 03:55 PM
Thank you John and Artie.
Artie: Good question guru...lol OK...I think being a tad to the right would have eliminated the shadow at the bird's lower neck? The sun was to my left at around 10 o'clock relative to where I was standing. Cheers.

Krishna Prasad kotti
09-14-2020, 04:43 AM
I would also prefer Golden colors. Color variation does not work for me in this case.

TFS

Paul Burdett
09-14-2020, 05:38 AM
Thanks Krishna.