David Roach
09-08-2020, 12:13 PM
EOS R RF 100-500 RF1.4xtc @700 f10 1/160 ISO 1600 HH,Manual EXP, FF

IS - check
SH with TC - check
Really spoiled by RF glass.

John Mack
09-08-2020, 02:03 PM
Nice detail on the bird. Like the background as well. The crop is too tight.

Brian Sump
09-08-2020, 10:02 PM
David, super detail and contrast from my chair. As mentioned, the crop could be helped by even just sliding the subject right in frame a bit and possibly pulling the ULH corner a touch if you have canvas. If not, adding some could be simple enough.

Lovin that lens..!

Jonathan Ashton
09-09-2020, 01:41 AM
Nicely detailed and I like the colours, the tip of the bill is a tad soft but not surprising considering the length!
Not sure what SH means?

David Roach
09-09-2020, 02:25 AM
Nicely detailed and I like the colours, the tip of the bill is a tad soft but not surprising considering the length!
Not sure what SH means?

Hi Jonathon, SH = Sharpness. Yes, all the RF glass is amazing and I believe will ultimately be the main reason the RF systems will succeed. Not to say the new R5/6 aren't fantastic as well. This glass performs the same at all focal lengths and with either TC. I have seen raw images from this glass with 2xtc (don't have yet but will be ordering soon) from online tests and looks just as sharp, with great contrast and the resolving power is superb. Canon has knocked the newest RF glass out the park. I now have 4 RF lenses and they are all superb.
As usual, thanks to all for very valued comments and help.

Daniel Cadieux
09-09-2020, 11:34 AM
I imagine the very close crop is to show the details from this lens, but artistically i agree it needs more room. Glad you are enjoying the new lens + accessories!

annmpacheco
09-09-2020, 11:39 AM
So sharp... wow!

David Roach
09-09-2020, 12:36 PM
I imagine the very close crop is to show the details from this lens, but artistically i agree it needs more room. Glad you are enjoying the new lens + accessories!

Yes, I'm just playing with new glass and testing limits. This is FF and I'm no "DC", maybe some day far far away...:bg3: Nah, who am I kidding... Every piece of RF glass so far has been amazing to me. Now, to work on better art.

Thanks as always to all for comments and learnings. Keep them coming, please.

gail bisson
09-09-2020, 01:18 PM
You are really killing it with the IQ and the lens! Mine is on order!:S3:
Agree that the bird is too tight in the frame.
If this is full frame then I bet you wish you had zoomed out a bit! Not only would that have given you more room but you would have gotten more DOF and the tip of the bill might have been in focus.
Gail

David Roach
09-09-2020, 02:28 PM
You are really killing it with the IQ and the lens! Mine is on order!:S3:
Agree that the bird is too tight in the frame.
If this is full frame then I bet you wish you had zoomed out a bit! Not only would that have given you more room but you would have gotten more DOF and the tip of the bill might have been in focus.
Gail
Hi Gail, Yes I was purposely testing worse case for AF/IQ, with TC, out all the way to 700, wide open, IS challenging SS and close (very narrow DOF). And this is what I got. And this is the AF challenged R. Imagine with the new bodies. Are you getting R5? Can't wait to see what you can create...