PDA

View Full Version : Product of California's Sierra wildfires

Dan Brown
07-07-2008, 01:37 AM
The skies are a product of the Northern California Sierra wildfires. Captured with a tripod mounted Nikon D200, 80-400mm at 400, 1/200sec at f11, ISO 400, manual exp. PP in PS, CS3.

Noel Carboni
07-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Love those layers. It almost seems as abstract art in that it's such a clean image, but then one notices the detail in the trees below and discovers it's a highly detailed photograph. Well done!

-Noel

Fabs Forns
07-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Love the feel of this image and the different tonalities in the layers of mountains. Good work. Axel was right about the drop shadow, more evident here.

Roman Kurywczak
07-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi Dan,
Debated this one for a while.............I love the layers..........but the bottom darker one........is somewhat distracting. not that I don't like the tone of it.....i probably want a little more of it.......as it seems clipped. I did a browser crop.....by scrolling to just under your signature........eliminating the more central black mound...........this works for me very well. You can also, if so inclined, clone out the more central mound so it is more the same tone as that lowest layer.....this would achieve the same result and yet leave the 2 darker evergreens on the lower RHC.........and keep the base layer a bit larger. All in all a beautiful example of atmospheric layering with stunning color!

Dan Brown
07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi all, thanks for the comments. Roman, I have taken your advise and removed the dark hill on the bottom. I also tried selectively sharpening the ridge tops only on this repost. Axel, I have listen to you on the drop shadow in the sig. and removed it also. The DS seems to work ok when I use a much darker version, but not on the lighter. I have made custom brushes, one with the DS and the other without. Thanks again all for the input.

Dan Brown

Paul Marcellini
07-08-2008, 06:25 PM
THat hump was what was bothering me too. I only had to keep scrolling to see it removed. I like this version. Im a sucker for layer images anyway. Really nice work.

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Hey Dan,
perfect now...........even for my tastes!

Robert Amoruso
07-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Nice work Dan,

That small change in the cropping really strengthens the image. Great use of layering in the image.

Grady Weed
07-09-2008, 11:07 AM
A nice feel to the different hues, layers and tonalities here. The repost has merit. Either one is a nice image.