PDA

View Full Version : Purple Gallinule with breakfast

Jerry Barrack
09-03-2020, 12:46 PM
Canon EOS 7D Mark II with EF500mm F/4L IS II USM with 1.4x III, Shot at F/5.6, 1/400 sec at ISO 400. Date 04/30 17 at 6:56am. Location: Celery Fields, Sarasota, FL
Purple Gallinules are fairly common in Sarasota. They also nest here at the Celery Fields. They are one of the most popular birds to photograph along with the Roseate Spoonbill. This image is not cropped and there was no need to clean anything up.

Arthur Morris
09-03-2020, 03:46 PM
Nicely done. Did it do anything with the mollusk??? The tail is very close to clipped ... The face might need to be selectively sharpened.

with love, a

Jerry Barrack
09-03-2020, 05:46 PM
Thanks Art. I am really enjoying this whole process and learning a lot. I'll have to get a crash course in Photoshop to keep up with all the suggestions to improve the images. I was lucky with the tail as this is full frame. I guess I had a little more room on the left but not much.Just shows that you can teach an old dog new tricks. That is what is so great about this hobby!

Dorian Anderson
09-03-2020, 10:56 PM
These birds are so pretty. I haven't been fortunate to capture one though I've seen lots birding in Florida.

The shell is really cool and pulls us right into the image. The bird needs ore room all around, and I agree about sharpening the face more. Red channel is hella saturated, so see if you can tone it down and recover some detail.

Paul Burdett
09-05-2020, 03:59 AM
Hi Jerry. A pretty bird for sure. agree with Dorian re more room around. Getting lower down to have the bird more at eye level would give a better POV. TFS

Jerry Barrack
09-05-2020, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the C and C. I never really noticed how saturated the red channel was! I definitely have to tone that down.As for needing more room, I agree but that is the problem when you are on a boardwalk and the birds are so tame. That's why I love my new Sony 200-600. If I had it then, I could have zoomed back.

John Mack
09-06-2020, 07:02 PM
The color on the bird is great. Love the mollusk. Nice to see the feet through the water.