canon XTi
f 7.1
1/800 sec.
ISO 100
195mm 70-300mm lens

Alfred Forns
07-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Hi Mike I like some of the things you are doing here

If this is a full frame (hope it is) you backed the zoom down and placed the bird toward a corner. Best placement area for leaving some room. Might go a little more down and left !!

Settings wise I'm surprised you have that much shutter speed with the given ISO? Exposure seems fine, body is a little under but more would have blown the head. As I mentioned before it is not possible to photograph little birds (or big ones) in mixed light. Bg is busy and there is an oof mass to the left from a leaf!! Head angle is off and the beak is merging with a branch !!!

You are working hard at it and do see your images improving. I think your biggest jump will come when you can go after different birds. These guys are as difficult as they come and need specialized equipment. A 600 f4.0 with 2X converter is usually necessary !!!

Doug Brown
07-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Good points by Al, and I too can see some improvement in your submissions Mike! Your sharpness is much improved. I'd still try for f/8 if you want maximum sharpness; it's easy enough to do, particularly if you're using ISO 100. Keep up the good work!

Oscar Zangroniz
07-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Great capture on a beautiful bird. Like the head angle. FG a little busy for my taste. But that's just my humble opinion.

mikedelaney
07-08-2008, 12:09 AM
thanks you guys. i wish this one was a little bit better focus. they are just so darned pretty. i'm still working on improving my technique. you all are helping me greatly. when the time comes for me to get some better images i'll know what is important. all of these birds, including the one i am putting up tonight are attempts to make "pretty pictures". Alfred, you have helped me realize that anyone can make a pretty picture, but it takes a real photographer to make one in "perfect focus".