PDA

View Full Version : Swish and away...

annmpacheco
09-02-2020, 07:03 PM
Okay, i think this is a western red shouldered hawk, juvie. This was taken with Gail B and David Salem a few years back, great shooting trip. This is my very first dive into adding a wing tip. I always liked this frame but was also very disappointed that the top feather was cut off bout an inch. In PS I added canvas on top and content aware, whammo, wing tip. Then i slimmed it down a wee bit bc there was a lil bulge, so overall i was happy with the result. Also, the darkest feathers seem to have a bluish cast to them so i reduced cyan in selective color a couple of points. The head/body was always sharp. i think an artificial wingtip with full disclosure is okay although i really wish i hadn't clipped it to start with. Any suggestions? Thanks

1Dx

840mm

ISO 1600
1/2500
HH

Jonathan Ashton
09-03-2020, 02:06 AM
It's a super shot Ann and very honest of you to mention the repair job. I like it as presented, with regard to colours, an alternative would be to address the colour balance at the raw stage - I do think there is still a blue cast

David Roach
09-03-2020, 04:15 AM
Love the pose, perch and BG. Great job with the repair, this canvas was well worth it. TFS

Daniel Cadieux
09-03-2020, 10:47 AM
Wingtip: If you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed it! OK, I still don't notice it, so that is a good thing. Good take-off pose, perch, BG. Yes to the colour cast still being there - you can use the cyan slider in hue-saturation to further remove that cast. Pretty cool frame!!

annmpacheco
09-03-2020, 11:14 AM
Wingtip: If you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed it! OK, I still don't notice it, so that is a good thing. Good take-off pose, perch, BG. Yes to the colour cast still being there - you can use the cyan slider in hue-saturation to further remove that cast. Pretty cool frame!!

Thanks for that Dan, here's a repost, did what you suggested, WDYT?

Arthur Morris
09-03-2020, 04:04 PM
The repost is much better as the whites in the underwing are no longer blue. Not sure of the species. Maybe Dorian can help ... The pose is mega. The repair is excellent.

with love, a

Brian Sump
09-03-2020, 06:19 PM
Ann, fabulous job on the canvas add and I learned a new technique from you today on that, thank you!

Fabulous take-off pose, beautiful wing position, fantastic bkg with the very dramatic gray palette.

Also, great job on the repost taking the cyan down. You're getting the hang of it!

annmpacheco
09-03-2020, 07:32 PM
The repost is much better as the whites in the underwing are no longer blue. Not sure of the species. Maybe Dorian can help ... The pose is mega. The repair is excellent.

with love, a

Hello Artie, Thank you. Doug saw my post and told me it is a red tailed hawk...

Dorian Anderson
09-03-2020, 11:16 PM
I didn't even notice the clone job until you revealed it, so that's good (even if I'm vehemently against such heavy creation). The liftoff with the fully extended legs is money! The eye pops nicely even though the head intersects the body. The repost with the blue knocked down looks much better.

This looks like a young-ish Red-tail to me. Adults often lose the speckled and form a more even band across the breast.

John Mack
09-06-2020, 06:55 PM
Love the leaning take off pose. I do not notice any wing tip repair. Crazy how much darker these birds are than the eastern ones i see.